GC Canals - Upgrade to Squire PB

Terry H

Hit upt he canals with Lee this morning, didn't see much surface action.

For lack of a better term, it was fking cold this morning with fog coming up off the water and blowing around - damn.

But yes, we pushed on, caught a few crappy fish so not much photography required.

Best lure of the day was a chubby style lure. We caught a host of fish. Lee got lots of mini versions of what I caught the other day.

We both dropped a couple, I lost what felt like a solid fish on a mask vibe, didn't stay connected after it hit, gave a good solid tug then came off.

Lost a few fish after god solid strikes

Lee lost a few

I had a double hook up, must have been dragging the tarwhine around a while so when I decided to bring it in my other rod starts going THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP so I keep pedalling along while retrieveing the tarwhine in.. Hey, gotta keep pressure on the fish right??? :laugh: then picked upt he rod.. thumpin kept coming, wondered if it was Fish X but no, a nice pinkey at 37cm

End of the day it was something like:

From memory

I got:

2 bream

1 flathead

1 PB squire (37cm now)

1 tarwhine

1 GT

2 Fish X's

Lee got:

1 or 2 bream

1 flathead

1 squire

1 tailor

1 GT

1 cod

1 Fish X

I feel like I'm forgetting some fish, but can't remember - couldn't have been that important :laugh:

Don't ask what Fish X is, no one is admitting to what it was. No it wasn't toadfish.

A couple of pics to follow

As for the PB squire thing I mentioned in the other thread..

I wa sputting my brag mat back in my bag and then next minute I hear a "splash".. turned around and saw my 08 Twinpower and custom IMX slowly sinking intot he water.... yeah, quickly reached back to grab that!

Lee dropped a box of lures overboard... but hey, good thing it was watertight so I came to the rescue and scooped it up

My flathead was literally justa fter Lees... Lee let his go and then... bam! mine hooked up.. :laugh: we had a good look to verify that mine wasn't the one Lee had just released :laugh: (they were different ones)

TerryH wrote:

My new PB Squire: hopefully going to smash this out of the water tomorrow!

37cm (when will I hook a real snapper?) [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/28_06_2008___GC_Canals___Terrys_PB_Squire___37cm___Shot_1.jpg

Quick Question. What size is it said to be a snapper?.....50cmish? Nice Fish BTW

fishyman wrote:

i thought that squire was just a slang name? is this not the case?

Squire is just a name for small snapper. In victoria they call small ones pinkies. Just wondering what the general rule is on when they would be considered a real snapper?

TerryH wrote:

37cm (when will I hook a real snapper?) [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/28_06_2008___GC_Canals___Terrys_PB_Squire___37cm___Shot_1.jpg

Any fish looks undersized when you've got that measuring tape out mate!

bretto wrote:

fishyman wrote:
i thought that squire was just a slang name? is this not the case?

Squire is just a name for small snapper. In victoria they call small ones pinkies. Just wondering what the general rule is on when they would be considered a real snapper?

It depends on two things -

1. Add your age to your height in centimetres then takeaway your age, then divide that number by the length of the snapper. If your answer is 4 or higher it's a snapper, if less it's a squire; and

2. How big your smile is.

Terry's fish would have been a snapper:P :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (sorry for the short joke Terry:silly: )

PS The real answer is: It's a snapper when the catcher says it's a snapper and it is a squire when the catcher says it is a squire.;):)

Angus wrote:

Nice work.

Did you get a photo of the Fish x's?

Angus

NO!

We tried to hide the fact we caught them from each other, let alone showing a whole FORUM!

As mentioned generally speaking: fish with a hump = snapper, fish without = squire

username_taken wrote:

TerryH wrote:

Any fish looks undersized when you've got that measuring tape out mate!

:woohoo:

:kiss:

:silly:

Archived