Cast nets

Ash

Hey everyone,

Im looking to buy a cast net soon (for my trip to Moreton Isl!). What is the best size or type of net to buy. or does it depend on where im going to use it. Also what is a good price for a good cast net.

oh well if thats the case then thats easy, pop to your local amart allsports store. And they have these Jarvis walker ones, No joke there the best allround cast net! they vary in size from 6ft-12ft i use a 9ft adn that works a treat. there like $60 and occasionally they come witha free batery power air pump. Ive caught heaps of fish in my castie.

hay ash,

cast nets come in maney diffretn sizes and shapes, in the river you should be looking for sometihng abit bigger than ussial some thing 11- 12ft (12ft is the bigest leagal size you can use)

when getting the net you can get good one, now with top pockets and bottom pockets withc i reccomend coz we get prawns.

bottom pockets are for mullet and herring, the top pocket is for prawns when trying to get the prawns they jump out of the water to get aways with get them stuck in the top pocket,

mullet try and scater everywhere and get traped in the bottem pockets as well and herring

ash hoped all my info helped

cheers ando

I started witha 6ft net and i think i actually caugt more prawns and fish in that net compared to my bigger one. also Dont go a top pocket for the river theres to much crap and u will damage the net, Atleast witha cheap 9ft no top pocket one if it breaks you can buy a new one very easily.

dave

I didn't get a top pocket because I thought it was simply a waste of money! If I get prawns in my net, they either stay at the top (caught at the very top) or fall down into the main pockets. If you bring your net up slowly enough, (given that there isn't a raging torrent keeping your net open) then you should still have the prawns.

With regards to size, I have definitely caught more in my 10' than my 8'. With this in mind, I'd recommend a 10'

Archived