best way to target tailor

badboygibbo

Im going to target tailor this evening and will be using pilchards on ganged hooks. What strength trace do i use and what way should the pilllie be facing like head first or whateva. Also i thought i might try some types of lures so where should i start? metal lures, sp, hard bodies ...

Thanks Paul

where are you going mate? different methods suit different areas.

generally speaking, lightly or unweighted pilles on 3 ganged 4/0's will account for a good many fish. if they are feeding actively they will hit a slug, 40g or 60g halco twisties are the go. big plastics will work, the 5 and 6" bozo ones look pretty damn good, i'm sure tailor would go for them.

Don't really need a trace as the gangs act as one. I have the head of the pillie facing towards the mainline for most fish. Holds together better and Tailor hit from the tail usually.

For lures, metal lures are good if they're in a "feeding" mood. SP's and HB's work whenever they're around usually. A tailor will hit a lure almost the size of it's body length if it wants it, so they aren't any really specific lures I could reccommend

i got quite a few on a metal lure from hervey bay called a flasha sppon

it was essentially just a very wide spoon lure with a big reflective sticker on the side

was using a few other lures (thinner metal slugs) in the same session but the spoon was the only one to get consistent fish

I went on friday night and there werent much surface action so didnt bother usaing lures although used unweighted pilchard on ganged hook but didnt manage to catch a tailor. But on the other hand we did get a 37 cm squire/snapper and a lovely fat 55cm flathead. not bad for a bycatch !

Archived