what motor to get?

blockah

g,day im looking at buying a new motor for my tinny :woohoo:

after shopping around im now thinking about the mercury 15hp super motor.

or the tohatsu 18hp. people have told me there almost the same motor. but boat motor dealers are like car salesmen so ive discovered. ( sorry to any car salesmen on this site ):blink: any way has any one had any thing to do with any of these motors & what do they think of them. price is almost the same & at the mo mercury has a 5 year warrany & tohatsu has 3 years.

If u can get a hold of a 15hp american mercury then u are doing well, My uncle has a 25 and it is one of the smoothest Carby 2 strokes i've ever been in. We have a 25 Tohatsu and its great motor cant fault it except it was hard to start for the first few trips but was sorted by the dealer. Mercury Seapro are the same as the Tohatsu, I have also heard rumours the 18hp puts out 22hp or something like that but dont know about that. Either motor should be fine for the job.

• 2 months later...

blockah wrote:

g,day im looking at buying a new motor for my tinny :woohoo:

after shopping around im now thinking about the mercury 15hp super motor.

or the tohatsu 18hp. people have told me there almost the same motor. but boat motor dealers are like car salesmen so ive discovered. ( sorry to any car salesmen on this site ):blink: any way has any one had any thing to do with any of these motors & what do they think of them. price is almost the same & at the mo mercury has a 5 year warrany & tohatsu has 3 years.

if you want power for the $$$ go the tohatsu 18 hp, had 1 on a 4.0 mtr tinnie which did 48 ks, going by the gps, the 15 merc's with the gear lever on the handle comes nowhere near this motor, not sure about the merc's with the gear lever beside the cowl, haven't owned one of them, the other 2 i have, only prob is the paint on the tohatsu when degreasing, it smears the paintwork, but it could be the degreaser i'm using

if they are supopsidly the same engine the difference could be the carby- thats the only difference between the 28 and 30HP models.

depnds if u want more power or a longer warranty, u should be able to buy the extention cant you?

i've had a few engine over nearly all the brands (evinrude, yammaha, mercuary, tohartsu, mariner) and if u take care of them there isnt much difference. the only thign is in older engines (which doesnt effect you) the japanese mariners and mercuaries have weaker alluminum in them which oxideies together faster.

sorry about the rambling, hope you are happy with what ever you purchase.

-Wiseguy

I've got a 25hp Mercury Sea-Pro that is nearly 4 years old and it hasn't missed a beat. Even when an old tinny cracked and filled with water, the motor got me home (to land anyway)with water flowing over the transom from inside the boat!! Only addition i made was added a permatrim, massive improvement, but think it was more to do with the boat than motor.

Archived