Thanks to whoever it was that told "Planetfonz"

Nitris

Thanks to whoever it was that told planetfonz to fish at the Gladstone powerplant out let. They stoped off there on thier way up to whitsundays where there getting a boat for a week to cruse arround on and fish the islands.

im catching up with them on friday morning flying into Hammo, thier picking me up in the tender at the airport.

they rang me b4 and only after the lures being in the water for 15min they got a 60cm mackeral and a 16kg upwards tuna, as they were trolling arround mole island. they said conditions were not best at 1 meter chop.. but with fish like that who cares. All caught on a 80mm black and silver ish river to sea poper :woohoo:

here is kratz with the queen fish and Planetfonz with the trev.. [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/oz2_003_renamed_32568.jpg

post-3112-144598468803_thumb.jpg

Schultzy wrote:

That's a ripper hot water outlet queenie. They are at their best in the outlet in winter.

Did you try white softies in the outlet? Red hot on both queenies and GTs.

Only bad thing about the outlet is that sticky mud at low tide. Sticks like dags to a sheep.

Think they just used popers .... im in Brisbane still im meeting them friday at Hammilton island near the airport.. He asked me to put the post up for him to say thanks for the tip..

jimmybob wrote:

jeez!.. i was there on the same spot fonz is standing a few months back....i didnt get nuttin like that!...great fish..well done!

I think they were there at 630am or so jimmy.. not sure what tide it was. Tuesday morning this week.. the mackerel and tuna were today just after noon.

• 2 weeks later...

woo yeah good morning that - set the navman to red rover road and found the place without a single issue in a strange town. tide had just started going out, mud still managed to get over everything, including my brand new reel and line which reminds me i should go clean it.

first line in the water at 630ish - so verrrrrry cold it was. the temp gauge on the rex said minus 1 just down the road before. kratz's first cast was annihilated and then spat out so he turns and says "wow did u see that?" meanwhile there was a dozen or so fish attacking his popper, which he didnt see - all poppers were the river2sea ones 80mm long or so and weighing 25grms.

noone else was there fishing. i saw at least 100 rays swimming about and a large eagle ray the size of huey jumped about 1 metre in front of me causing a small heart attack, it is croc country after all :D

there were also fish being chased onto the bank across the canal where the birds were cleaning up. in fact bait was very thick all over.

the queenies were just casually rolling around sticking their fins out. and until we dragged that pictures one inshore i thought they were tarpon, whilst the gt's were doing all the visible thrashing and bait chasing.

we stopped in again one the way home last wednesday and had dead low tide with very very muddy conditions. no fish this time, but a lot more bait being chased onto the shore. all bout 4 cms long. my sx40's were the smallest i could offer to no avail, so no fish that time.

all in all, we are now planning a trip just to gladstone itself for a day or 2. a truly excellent spot to fish!

cheers

ps powerlines were mighty high - so not much danger :D

Schultzy wrote:

That's a ripper hot water outlet queenie. They are at their best in the outlet in winter.

Did you try white softies in the outlet? Red hot on both queenies and GTs.

Only bad thing about the outlet is that sticky mud at low tide. Sticks like dags to a sheep.

i tried nuclear chicken 5" shads as well but no luck - poppers did all the damage

Archived