Long Tan Day 18-08-2008

Schultzy

Today is Long Tan Day.

On this day 42 years ago at 4:08pm, D Company 6RAR was patrolling east of the Australian Task Force Base at Nui Dat when the s*&t hit the fan.

They encountered a main stream NVA & VC force of about 2,500 troops. For almost three hours a single company of young Aussie diggers, greatly assisted by heavy artillery support, kept the enemy at bay.

Once reinforcements from A Company 6RAR arrived, on board the 1st APC Squadron at 6:55pm the enemy retreated.

Eighteen young Aussies lost their lives in that battle. Another 24 were wounded. They and all of their comrades in arms are true heroes.

Lest we forget. [img size=414]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/long_tan.jpg

post-108-144598469517_thumb.jpg

wiseguy wrote:

yer two of those blokes that died went to my school (Padua) so it was a proud day for all Paduans today!

:ohmy:

I went to Padua as well...!!! Graduated in '88 I think it was... too long ago now...!! :)

6RAR, and all of our defence forces, are something we should all be proud of, always!!

Lest we forget!

Shorty

lest we forget, also for those who didnt know 6rar was out numbered by at least 10 viets- 1 digger. One of the bravest battles ever fought IMO. I'm also glad to see these men are finaly recieving the medals they should have recieved when they got home and it is a shame on our govenment for taking this long to make all australians aware of what these men went through for our country.

kriso wrote:

lest we forget, also for those who didnt know 6rar was out numbered by at least 10 viets- 1 digger. One of the bravest battles ever fought IMO. I'm also glad to see these men are finaly recieving the medals they should have recieved when they got home and it is a shame on our govenment for taking this long to make all australians aware of what these men went through for our country.

Kris, Don't accept everything you see on the TV news as fact. ;) The young lads from D Coy were actually outnumbered by about 25 to 1. M

ost of the diggers who went to Viet Nam were very young. Many celebrated their 21st birthdays while on tour.

There were other equally heroic actions involving Aussie troops during the Viet Nam conflict. Ask some of the vets about the battle of Fire Support Base Coral. Chilling stuff!

I've had the pleasure of chatting with a couple of the Long Tan veterans, one of whom was unscathed at Long Tan but was wounded in a later operation.

Hats off to them all.

Archived