Happy Days (for me)

Cowfish13

We got out into the bay, and it was completly calm. We went to a beacon put out a couple of unweighted pillies and a massive fish that we think was a cod screamed line of my brothers reel. Unfortunately that broke him off. 5 minutes later, same happed to be but it just let go of my bait.

We didn't get much there so we went to Mud Island and after a while of getting small fish, my heavir reel with a unweighted ganged pilly screamed of and on the end was my first ever legal Mackeral (53cm). After about 30 minutes of big runs and one 43cm mackeral later, my reel went beserk and I struck to set the hook and the line was still running off the reel with full drag on. The fish kept taking out line for 5 minutes or so and i finally gained on it. 15 minutes later I pulled up my first ever Bullshark and it was about 105cm and probably 6-10 kg.

After this we didn't get any more fish so we went home. I was the only person on the boat to get any big fish. [img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Edited_First_Bull_Shark.jpg

post-320-144598403127_thumb.jpg

I have to agree with Feral, I personally believe it's not a bully. Needless to say, it was a shark, well done!

I doubt it was 6-10kg. I've caught many bullies a little bit smaller (length wise) than that, however they (bullies) are more stocky. They were certainly not 6-10kg. Lighter! Granted I've never weighed one, it's just based on holding a 5kg sandbag, and my memories of how light they (sharks) were.

Cowfish, what were you using to catch that, 10lb?

As for the tail etc, it could have been one of the many variaties of whalers.

Edit: Like I said, well done on the shark!

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2006/11/25 16:04

This picture clearly shows the head and the trace was only 35lb. Thought of the wrong trace:silly: . But brian, the first run of the day was definately not a Mackeral, way to strong. It wasn't very fast either and it didn't swim on the surface. I think my brother's was a Cod or a Jewfish and I think mine was another Shark, judging by the way this one fought. [img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Edited_Another_picture.jpg

Post edited by: Cowfish13, at: 2006/11/26 10:54

post-320-144598403142_thumb.jpg

Landing in action. The rod I was using only cost $30 but its still caught some massive fish. [img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Edited_Shark_in_Action.jpg

As you can see, my brother got his finger in the road. All picture were taken on a phone.

Oh, and by the way, shark was released

Post edited by: Cowfish13, at: 2006/11/26 11:17

post-320-144598403146_thumb.jpg

Good capture cowfish! Did you keep him? You would have got some nice fillets of him B)

Feral: I agree that its not a bullie, but whether it is a \"Blacktip Whaler\" or a Blacktip Reef Shark\" is unclear to me. In Grant's the pic of the whaler is looking down from the top, so its really hard to ID it from that pic. Cowfish, do you have a pic that shows the entire side of the shark????

Terry: Based on my experiance, it would be 6-10kg easy, probably closer to the 10 side of things. My biggest shark (jaws itself at a huge 80cm) went 4kg on the scales, so one this size will be a fair bit fatter.

Oh you're lucky you didn't get bit off too mate, but I guess you were using gangs??

Cheers

WolfB)

Archived