HP Vs HP?

liventhedream

If I have a 60 hp engine, 2stroke, is it more powerfull than a 60 hp4stroke???

Now ppl have told me that the way to compere is like in motor bikes, a 125cc 2stroke will compete against a 250cc 4stroke, this is because they produce the same hp, so if the hp out put of both motors are the same, wouldn't this negate any lead the 2stroke would have??

If I had a 4stroke 60hp would this pull just as hard as a 60hp 2stroke?

liventhedream wrote:

Now ppl have told me that the way to compere is like in motor bikes, a 125cc 2stroke will compete against a 250cc 4stroke, this is because they produce the same hp, so if the hp out put of both motors are the same, wouldn't this negate any lead the 2stroke would have??

2 strokes will always accererate harder than any brand of 4 stroke, 2 strokes fire every 2 rpm, and 4 strokes every 4 rpm, hense their manes 2/4 strokes, and thats why 2 strokes will burn more fuel too. they tend to have a better top end as well, because of the weight factor, i have a 25 hp honda, and it feels like a 15 hp 2 stroke, but it uses no fuel at all, and it weighs 75 kilo, thats a lot of weight there, but it gets a 4.2 mtr tinnie on the plane a lot easier than say a 30 2 stroke, they do have much more torque, which makes them easy to drive in swelly conditions

shortie wrote:

then you have Direct injected 2 strokes. Gives you the benefits of both.

these link has a handy explanation

/>http://smalloutboards.com/4Stroke.htm

/>http://www.orbeng.com.au/orbital/aboutOrbital/pressarc/pdf/ob_so.pdf

part 1
/>http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/boat-review/1948852.aspx

part 2
/>http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/boat-review/1948853.aspx

60hp is 60 hp

as for the act that the fourstrokes use less fuel- theres also a monster wieght and price. in my case it was goign to be alot better for me to purchase the 60hp 2 stroke, the literal thousnads i saved i dont mind soending on the extra petrol.

plus, two strokes are better for sum older style tinnes that cant handle the extra wieght, but four strokes are bertter for the environment. thats where direct fuel injected and efi come in- they are just as good giving a complete burn.

but depends on personal preferance and use i suppose.

-Wiseguy

when i got my new boat 2years ago i was going for a 115etec but ended up getting a 115suskie and was a bit cheaper to around 900 bucks ;) plus i have been beside a etec with both motors ideling and the suskie is a lot quiter :) plus with 120 litres of fuel and 5off us in it :ohmy: it gust gets up and goes no problems at all;) go the 4/:woohoo: it does 6200 rvs :cheer: al

liventhedream wrote:

in theory yeah they should be but they arnt.

4strokes are far more refined,are quieter and smoother etc.

2 strokes is old technology but deliveres faster acceleration,its lighter,cheeper to service,easier to own and will always be a cheeper motor than a 4 stroke to own except in fuel ecconomy.

so a 2 stroke is/should always beat a 4 stoke out of the hole but a 4 stroke will have higher top end due to how refined it is...

having said that i think a 60hp 2stoke is about the drawing line wear they are cheeper to have in the long term than 4 stroke...fuel is the big ussue these days.it would be interesting to see the difference over 10 years or so taking into consideration or fuel ecconomy,servicing,initiall price difference of the motor,oil etc....the killer in 4 strokes is servicing and the initial out lay in price difference.

i would dare say the 60hp 2 stroke is cheeper to run over 10 years but not by much.

however if you were talking 115hp's i think the 4strokes would win

Rob Low wrote:

liventhedream wrote:

2 strokes will always accererate harder than any brand of 4 stroke, 2 strokes fire every 2 rpm, and 4 strokes every 4 rpm, hense their manes 2/4 strokes, and thats why 2 strokes will burn more fuel too. they tend to have a better top end as well, because of the weight factor, i have a 25 hp honda, and it feels like a 15 hp 2 stroke, but it uses no fuel at all, and it weighs 75 kilo, thats a lot of weight there, but it gets a 4.2 mtr tinnie on the plane a lot easier than say a 30 2 stroke, they do have much more torque, which makes them easy to drive in swelly conditions

not true..i think what rob is trying to say is...

a 2-stroke makes 2 strokes of the piston to every power stroke while a 4 stroke makes 4.

4 strokes have inlet and outlet valves like your car. they need to open and close to make one cycle..thats why it takes longer than a 2 stroke to make power

they get there names from:

2 strokes= 2 movements for one cycle

4 strokes= 4 movements for one cycle

i would hate to see a motor firing 4 times every 4 rpm.!!!lol

hmm, another question on hp, the older models usually have fewer cylinders, y is that?

for exmaple 60hp yamahas form the 80's have 2 big cycliders and now anythign from 40 up usualy has 3 (now).

sum1 told me the three cyclinders wear slower, but assuming the co effoicent of friction is the same, then shouldnt they both wear at the same rate? i spose it might be ture in the fact that 2 cycilnders have to cycle more times (individually) to deliver the same amoutn of power, leading to more wear?

has it go sumthign to do with the consistancey of power?

or is it a gud way to flog more money for a rebuild and an extra spark plug?

-Wiseguy

wiseguy wrote:

hmm, another question on hp, the older models usually have fewer cylinders, y is that?

for exmaple 60hp yamahas form the 80's have 2 big cycliders and now anythign from 40 up usualy has 3 (now).

sum1 told me the three cyclinders wear slower, but assuming the co effoicent of friction is the same, then shouldnt they both wear at the same rate? i spose it might be ture in the fact that 2 cycilnders have to cycle more times (individually) to deliver the same amoutn of power, leading to more wear?

has it go sumthign to do with the consistancey of power?

or is it a gud way to flog more money for a rebuild and an extra spark plug?

-Wiseguy

I dont know. But i was told 1cve that a 3 cylinder engine is the best balances engine you can get.

The reason I ask is, I think I will be getting a new motor out of all this, when he sold me the 06 modle 60 hp2stroke, it was because it was still there, and he told me that I would want it-for my perposes- but I think maby they new it was no good.

Infact, I would bet that it was probably allready fitted to some1 elses boat in years gone by and they new it had a problem.

Anyway, I think that a 4stroke would suit me better, as my needs are: resale value in 5 years time, fuel econamy and better trolling ability aswell as my little girl(3years old) dosen't like the noise of the 2stroke to the point were she will only come onboard if I go slow.

The only thing I can think of that I would want a 2stroke for is for pulling the ski tube, the sales bloke says it will pull a skier out of the water too, but there is no way my boat will do that.

Thanks for the input guys, again.

i was talking to a m8 of mine who is a floor manager at a very big marine shop and he said that the demand for fourstrokes has and will coninute to drop becaus eh e EFI engines have all the advantages of a 4/ and are cheaper...

could be a load of rubbish though...

-Wiseguy

Archived