Awoonga 26th September - 1st October

Dec

I woke up at 5:15am packed all my stuff got the boat ready , then at 6am Jason arrived we packed 22 packets of slick rigs, 6 trays of hard bodies, a overfull tray of jig heads, many spools of leader, 4 braid scissors and of coarse the rods 8 of them and the 10 reels. Then we had to load the less important stuff like food and clothes. We then finally left at 6:30am and then arrived at green acres Caravan Park unpacked some stuff some rods and then left for Awoonga. We arrived launched the boat went straight to our week bed we were going to fish that night and marked it on the GPS. We then went and did a bit of surface frogging with not even a bow wave. We then went and had a short fish at a point for nothing again. We then went and anchored up at our weed bed and I thought I might have a little sleep before the bite started. I was just about asleep when Jason pretended he had a bite when his reel screams off then a sudden stop and the barra was gone. So I quickly get up grab my rod and start casting nothing for me in the next 5 min but Jason had a fish chase his slick rig in and hit it next to the boat. Then it was my turn the black and gold slick rig landed right next to the weed I start my retrieve when my little Calcutta screams off and a 1m+ barra launches out of the water and after a short fight he is in the net and measured to be 101cm a very good fish for the first of the trip. After many other hits I hook up again and pull him into the boat to not even measure or get a picture with a 60cmish barra. We then went to sleep for a bit and woke up at 11pm to the sound of ducks getting eaten by barra. We got 2 hits in about an hour and went back to sleep and woke up at 2am freezing the wind had changed to a southerly and all I had was my jumper so we went back to the boat ramp and pulled out and went to sleep at the caravan park. We then woke up at about 8:30am and had curry for breakfast then it was off to the dam again but this time we snuck out blankets and pillows for the night ahead. We launched and started to fish some sticks up one of the many bays in Awoonga for nothing. So we pulled up to the bank and went to sleep wand woke up at 2:30pm to the sound of the barra madness skeeter going past. So we got up and went and anchored up on our week bed and waited for the bite to start and at 6pm it started with Jason’s first fish a 92cm fatty and shortly after I got a 94cm barra. We had many hits but no hook ups after that so we went to sleep. I awoke to the sound of a bomb going off at 12:30am but it wasn’t it was just Jason’s surface lure getting eaten next to the boat so I went back to sleep and then Jason got another hit and a catfish on surface so I grabbed the lucky craft Sammy out and was fishing with it only 10min when I stopped and started to talk to Jason when it got smashed but no hook up. We both went to sleep. I woke up at 4:45am to Jason saying ah dec I may need your assistance and just as he said that a monster barra launched its self out of the water. Then I said that’s a 120cm+ fish Jason and he had hooked this whale on his stunt rod with 20lb line. It went into the weeds many times before I netted it and guess what it didn’t fully fit in the massive enviro nets and I couldn’t lift it in the boat so we both lifted it In the boat to measure it at 124cm got a heap of pics and put it back. So I grabbed my rod and started casting and shortly after my slick rig got inhaled by an 87cm barra got a few pics of him and let him go. I then cast off my slick rig and as it hit the water it got eaten by a barra that decided for the rest of the morning it was going to jump around trying to throw the lure. We then went back to the room and called a few places around Gladstone to get the wheel bearings checked we go an appointment the next day. So we went into Gladstone to find this place and get some cold weather gear like socks beanie and we also got a thin foam bed thing that we cut in half to sleep on in the boat. We then left to go back and cook lunch and get ready for the night ahead. We got to our spot at 4pm and waited for the bite to start and at 6:15pm it did with a 87cm barra for me than a few minutes later I got a stinking catfish next cast a big barra ate it he jumped around every where before finally getting into the net got a measure on him at 104cm got more pics and let him go. That was all the fish for the night session but we got many hits and lost a few from jumping. We both woke up at 4:30am for the morning session we got 2 fish each this session my 2 75cm and 80cm and Jason’s 2 75cm and 83cm. This was our best session with heaps of other fish hooked including 2 meter plus fish that I got bricked by and Jason jumped off 3 meter plus fish. We then went to Gladstone and got the bearings fixed and had some shopping around for tackle. Rosco one of our friends decided that he would drive down from black water for the last 2 days fishing. So we launched and went straight to our weed bed shortly after Rosco arrived and the bite started Jason got the first fish at 116cm then it was my turn for a hook up it was big very big it was about in the net when it went slack and it was gone we hooked a few other fish including a 70cmish barra that took a 170mm slick rig but threw it. So we then went to sleep to the sound of ducks getting eaten I then woke up at 4:30am and started casting to get a 85cm barra after a quick release I cast out and hooked up again to spit the hook. Then Jason hooked up and pulled in a 106cm barra we dropped a heap more that morning and Rosco got 2 barra. We then went back to the Caravan Park and slept then woke up at 12pm and it was windy very windy so we ate some food got every thing ready and left at 3pm. We got there and anchored up but it wouldn’t hold so we got some 120lb line and 10 jig heads and it was fixed but Rosco’s anchor wouldn’t hold so he moved over behind the Island. We fished and fished for nothing not even a hit so at 7:30 I thought I would get out some food and guess what I found bananas oh no why did I put those in so we quickly ate them all and the wind stopped and the barra started eating the ducks again but still no hits. Then Rosco came back over and anchored and he had 1 hit where he was. We then went to sleep at 10pm and I woke up at 3:50am started fishing for a hit straight away so I woke up Jason then we tried to wake up Rosco but we couldn’t so I cast into his boat and woke him up he then dropped the plastic over the side of his boat to get eaten and I got 80cm barra in the boat. Then a few more cats later I got a 67cm barra let him go and that was it for a half hour until I got another barra at 87cm. Then that was it for the day so we went home packed up and left at about 8am to get home at about 1:30pm.

End result

Me 12 barra

Jason 6 barra

Rosco 4 barra

Jason had been guiding for I think 2 or 3 years in NT and never got a 1m+ barra and now I think I will take him and try upgrading his PB Threadfin.

Pics will come as soon as I get them off Jason

Archived