Important Questions for Bay Fisherman

Cowfish13

Hi everyone, my family bought our boat mid december last year so we weren't out fishing in the bay during spring last year and I've got a couple of questions to ask.

1. Are there always huge amounts of that orangy-brown dusty weed floating on top of the water? Was just wondering as it may be having a negative impact on fishing seeing as this was the worst year on record for fishing.

2. Secondly, in spring, do those common jelly-fish (that you always see washed up on the beach) always come into Moreton Bay in their billions? Also just wondering in case of a negative impact on fishing.

Thanks, Will

You tend to get lots of weed floating in the water after a big blow / wave action. It has been a very windy spring, so whilst I have not been out to see the amount of weed around, I would suspect it would be higher than normal. It can be a pain, with fouling lines when drifting etc, just move to as new area if it is a problem.

As for the jelly fish, there are always lots of schools of the big blue bell shaped ones, just move away from them as well.

Well this isn't really like normal weed, infact it may not even be weed at all. It is more like some on has sprinkled cinnamen all aver the water and it has no effect on drifting or any thing as it just goes around the lines. It tends to form big lines and is only right on the very surface, so one second of traveling, the water might be completly dusty, the next second it will be crystal clear. It has only really started to pick up in the last few months.

Cowfish13 wrote:

Well this isn't really like normal weed, infact it may not even be weed at all. It is more like some on has sprinkled cinnamen all aver the water and it has no effect on drifting or any thing as it just goes around the lines. It tends to form big lines and is only right on the very surface, so one second of traveling, the water might be completly dusty, the next second it will be crystal clear. It has only really started to pick up in the last few months.

sounds like coral spawn if it is it happens everyb spring it just depends on the wind and the currents where it goes

Archived