Straigthened Jig Heads

teckee7

I was using a Nitro size 1 (1/16th) with a 100mm squidgy wriggler attached to 15lb leader last night at Portside. As I was lifting my rod, then bang and I was on...zzzzz...zzzzzz, the drag went off on my little Sienna and the fish (could not make it out) jumped and head shaked several times to the surface and then nothing. When I retrieved my jig head, noticed that my hook was straightened. I am thinking what other quality jig heads (I have also used TT as well) are there on the market that will give me more reliable performance (no straightened hooks).

this is a major problem with these things in the smaller sizes, people are making their own these days, and wouldn't ya know it. problem solved. works out to be a hell of a lot cheaper, what you pay $8 bucks for will end up costing around 30 cents. and gives you something to do when the weather is crap! and you learn a new trick. the makers of these things no doubt know about this, but if they strengthen them up, you won't straighten them, and no need to buy any more, and that my friend is what it's all about. take note of some of the ol boys out there, sus out what their using and if ya can, look in their esky's. might just make you think twice.

noname wrote:

this is a major problem with these things in the smaller sizes, people are making their own these days, and wouldn't ya know it. problem solved. works out to be a hell of a lot cheaper, what you pay $8 bucks for will end up costing around 30 cents. and gives you something to do when the weather is crap! and you learn a new trick. the makers of these things no doubt know about this, but if they strengthen them up, you won't straighten them, and no need to buy any more, and that my friend is what it's all about. take note of some of the ol boys out there, sus out what their using and if ya can, look in their esky's. might just make you think twice.

Hey Rob, by making your own jig heads, would you use split sinkers or running sinkers? Maybe there are threads on here that teaches you how to make your own jig heads...

friends have made up 3 moulds that cover pretty much everything, me, i won't use plastic's. don't like em. only place i do use them is offshore. with plastic's you have got to be where the fish are. with live and dead baits the scent will attract fish, but wheather they have a go at it is another thing!

teckee7 wrote:

hairyweasel wrote:
Sounds like a threadie, what length was your leader?

I set about 1 metre for my leader. I was using my Starlo stick (2to 4 kg) with a small Sienna with 4lbs fire.

Head shakes above the waterline are particularly hard on terminal tackle. The longer the leader, the better it will soak up the shock. If you're going back rigged with the same plastic (and you'd be mad if you didn't), a longer leader certainly wouldn't hurt.

if it was the docks at the mouth i would call it for a thready as i have not heard of jew jumping, when you buy you tt jig head make sure the hook size has H at the end like 2/0H , this is the heavier gauge hook range, my mate caught a nice thready at the docks the other day that went 96cm, the only other things that jumps out there is the big queenies and tailor that get to 65cm at times and they jump and carry on .....

wesfish wrote:

if it was the docks at the mouth i would call it for a thready as i have not heard of jew jumping, when you buy you tt jig head make sure the hook size has H at the end like 2/0H , this is the heavier gauge hook range, my mate caught a nice thready at the docks the other day that went 96cm, the only other things that jumps out there is the big queenies and tailor that get to 65cm at times and they jump and carry on .....

Thanks mate, I went and picked up some more TT jigheads and made sure they were the 'H' range.

reelchippy wrote:

I make my own jigheads and use Gamakatsu hooks got the mould from the states.Two things that will straighten hooks wrong drag setting and hard month fish like snapper not hooked up right

[file name=Jighead_mould.doc size=32768]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/Jighead_mould.doc[/file]

Hey Reelchippy, where do you get the hooks from. As in the attachment the hook has the eye turned up just like the jigheads you buy from the stores. Or did you turn the eye up yourself? Do you want to make me some and I pay for it?

"Hey Reelchippy, where do you get the hooks from. As in the attachment the hook has the eye turned up just like the jigheads you buy from the stores. Or did you turn the eye up yourself? Do you want to make me some and I pay for it?"

I have mould and i buy hooks called jighead hooks you can get at tackle warehouse i got mine at fish head tackle

/>http://www.do-itmolds.com/

Archived