Outer Gneerings Report 3/7/17

Doyley

Headed out to the Outer Gneering early Monday morning.  My deckie pulled out due to work commitments around !0pm, too late to call around to find another one so i decided to do a solo run.  

IMG_3187.thumb.JPG.8b46a48277b5478e6361c50d4e62631e.JPG

IMG_3188.thumb.JPG.d1a7b59ca475d33eacde79b051192b0b.JPG

The bar was flat even with a bit of swell coming over the stilted up river mouth.    Got out to the gneerings and it was pretty sloppy.  Did a couple of drifts.  A couple of undersize reef fish and a PB whiptail :no:.  After finding a good mark with fish on the sounder i anchored up and started a berley trail.  The trail started to work and i got bricked on lighter gear.  No more mucking around so the big gear came out.  Drop to the bottom, one jig up and i was getting smashed.  Unfortunately, i was pulling the hooks or still getting bricked on the bottom.  The bite only lasted for around 15mins, probably because i forgot to keep the berley trail going while trying to get the fish the surface.  

Coming back to the river mouth the dredge was working the point cartwright wall of the bar with buoys running through the deep side.  Had to navigate breaking waves, a SUP boarder, kayaker and the dredge.  A little bit to much excitement for the end of a trip :geek:.  Though about taking a pic of the narrow gap, but after surfing a wave and the motor touching the sand i though better of it. 

Ended up with two tuskies, which wasn't too bad for a couple of hours.  The big brutes have got me hooked and keen to get back out there soon!  Sorry about the lack and bad quality of the pics.

IMG_3190.thumb.jpg.eea27d37fbac7b927357c9eeb29cf9e8.jpg

Archived