Hooks Wearing Out Lures.

Guest Kendaric

Guest Kendaric

I do a lot of trolling.

My bibbed diver bodies are being grooved out and ruined over a long period of time by the centre treble hook points, as the lure vibrates through the water.  Changing to a centre double hook changed the wear to under the lure body by the shank.

Then I saw on Big Angry Fish, where the centre treble was held to the body of the lure with a rubber band off the rear wire loop - maybe this was to stop a loose treble from flying around whilst travelling, or maybe it was to stop the wear caused whilst trolling.  

I have tried trolling with the rubber band, and the lure still tracks well, but at this stage it is hard to tell if it has reduced hook up rates (in the past it is mostly it is the rear treble that has had the hook up though, as I tend to troll faster than slower in the salt), or if it is spooking the fish.

Any thoughts or experiences with this issue?

Guest Kendaric

Certainly worth giving a try.  I had considered the single hook, but thought that it may produce the same problem as the double, but perhaps a single may move in a different plane.

My understanding is that many had moved away from doubles as the hook up ratio was poor.

I hadn't considered a short assist - not a bad idea to move the hook away from the lure body angle slightly.  

Archived