Just Moved To Victoria Point / Redland Bay Area, And Keen To Fish

Bryce

Hey All,

I just moved up from Sydney to Victoria Point and keen to unpack the gear and get back into fishing, back in Sydney I mostly fished fresh water but grew up fishing salt and wondering if anyone can give me any tips on local areas where i can start exploring all a meet up to tag along.
I have only fished with lures over the years and been itching over the last 10 days to get back on the water as use to fish every day back in SYD.

I have a kayak as well but no boat ATM. 

Thanks Bryce

hey mate,

as far as very local options to where you live, the foreshores along victoria point and south the redland bay can produce flathead and bream, as well as squid in winter.  i'd suggest walking the flats on low tide and looking for signs where fish may hold up and then target them on the higher tide with soft plastics or hard bodied lures.

Further afield, there are some good options for kayaking as you head south, there is some good spots along the pimpama and coomera rivers for targeting estuary species.  Depending on your yak, there are also some rocky/rubble areas on the northern side of coochimudlo island and around macleay island that hold pan-sized snapper, sweetlip and a few other reef species from time to time, very affected by boat traffic though.

Good luck and have fun exploring!

18 hours ago, benno573 said:

hey mate,

as far as very local options to where you live, the foreshores along victoria point and south the redland bay can produce flathead and bream, as well as squid in winter.  i'd suggest walking the flats on low tide and looking for signs where fish may hold up and then target them on the higher tide with soft plastics or hard bodied lures.

Further afield, there are some good options for kayaking as you head south, there is some good spots along the pimpama and coomera rivers for targeting estuary species.  Depending on your yak, there are also some rocky/rubble areas on the northern side of coochimudlo island and around macleay island that hold pan-sized snapper, sweetlip and a few other reef species from time to time, very affected by boat traffic though.

Good luck and have fun exploring!

Thanks mate, for the feedback I have mapped out a few areas and will be doing exactly this just been waiting for this wind to die down and this weekend looks ok for some exploring.  Can the flats be fished in the low tide at all?  By fishing the drop offs or really i should be focusing the efforts just on the incoming / higher tides.

5 hours ago, Bryce said:

Thanks mate, for the feedback I have mapped out a few areas and will be doing exactly this just been waiting for this wind to die down and this weekend looks ok for some exploring.  Can the flats be fished in the low tide at all?  By fishing the drop offs or really i should be focusing the efforts just on the incoming / higher tides.

Hey Bryce,

Some areas are fishable on the low tide, a lot of times you need a pair of snow shoes to get near the water but there are some spots that are accessible.  If you can get out to the channel edges, any of the drop offs can hold fish.  personally i found flats fishing best in the last two hours of the run in and the last of the run out.  on the run in look for obvious places where food may hold, weedbeds, a log, rubble patch, mangroves, anything like that.  For the run out I concentrate on any area where fish or bait may be forced to congregate as the tide drops,  a deeper drain in a large bank, a small creek/drain mouth etc.  Fish as light as you can and if possible longer casts with the wind at your back will mean less chance of spooking fish.  Early morning and late arvo / dusk will definitely give you the best chances of success.

Cheers,

Benno <'><

Archived