130cm Barramundi Caught in Pelican Waters Canal

planetfonz

I don't want to rain on the kids parade & its a great looking barra, but do those lateral marks down the barra's side, (forward of the dorsal fin and the next set down its back) look like its been caught with square hooks rather than a lure ??? :unsure: :unsure:

or am I just suffering from a bad case of barra envy??? :blush:

Not sure how'd string a net across any stretch of water at Pelican waters but he who dares......

Smiderman wrote:

I don't want to rain on the kids parade & its a great looking barra, but do those lateral marks down the barra's side, (forward of the dorsal fin and the next set down its back) look like its been caught with square hooks rather than a lure ??? :unsure: :unsure:

Not sure how'd string a net across any stretch of water at Pelican waters but he who dares......

It might be marks from the landing net they tried using though.

Schmuck wrote:

Smiderman wrote:

It might be marks from the landing net they tried using though.

yer good point.. Got a good suggestion of an Xmas present then.. time for a better landing net:laugh:

pinkey wrote:

I also heard of one being caught in Aquatic paradise canals down at birkdale. Imagine if they had canals up north, barra would love them!

Pinkey, they do have canals up north. I know they have canals at Yorkeys Knob in Cairns and also at Port Hinchinbrook and they regularly catch barra and trap crocs in them particularly in Hinchinbrook . Also I seen a photo in one of the fishing mags of a bloke at the gem bait and tackle shop that caught a 70cm barra on a live bait in the Logan river.

jakhunta wrote:

pinkey wrote:
I also heard of one being caught in Aquatic paradise canals down at birkdale. Imagine if they had canals up north, barra would love them!

Pinkey, they do have canals up north. I know they have canals at Yorkeys Knob in Cairns and also at Port Hinchinbrook and they regularly catch barra and trap crocs in them particularly in Hinchinbrook . Also I seen a photo in one of the fishing mags of a bloke at the gem bait and tackle shop that caught a 70cm barra on a live bait in the Logan river.

oh ok, didnt know that.. i guess people just have fences to stop the crocs getting into their laundry. :silly:

So used to only fishing impoundments I forgot about the max length on wild barra!

I saw the pic, it looked pretty scrawny, Ray's 128cm Barra from Awoonga was fat as and went 28 kilo's, possible if its in poor condition to be that light at that size, but more likely there is a bit of journalistic licence going on, looked around the 90-100cm mark in the photo, which would fit weight better.

pinkey wrote:

jakhunta wrote:
pinkey wrote:

oh ok, didnt know that.. i guess people just have fences to stop the crocs getting into their laundry. :silly:

What my concern would be is a good cyclone and a spring tide combination could produce a decent sized storm surge so a croc swimming through your lounge room could be a real possibility.:ohmy:

Archived