holy crap

noname

nav lights on boats... hmmm

i am aware that most boats have them to a degree..:cheer: jeez some even have a rear white light..;) and this is where the fun begins..:huh: eg. now if i am following a boat going the same direction as i am.. i should be able to see this boat, and usually do:cheer: .. but if a boat i am behind has no white light at all, i am not really aware of any other boat,:) because there is nothing telling me otherwise :) i can't bloody see it :angry: :ohmy: ..

if i happen to have a near miss because of this reason, i will get very :angry: very quickly.. i used to let it slide and think, this idiot will prop kill someone, other than himself..

well it's nearly happened to me a couple of times now, and let me just say, it really pisses me off, now days i will give chase, get rego # and call the cops, if they are lucky, normally will yell out to these dik heads, and let them know what i think, if it goes further at the ramp which i have experienced, all the better:cheer: as now days i look at it as if they ARE trying to kill me.. yet so easy to avoid all this B.S. by doing a bit of homework and finding out which nav lights should be on at which times during the night, as not all lights should be on..

i can understand just how these boating accidents happen, SO WAKE UP, your not the only ones out there..

THIS IS NO WAY DIRECTED AT ANYBOBY ON THIS SITE AT ALL.. just my experiences

Good heads up now that the weather is getting warmer and people are venturing out on the waters later at night.

For the majority of power boats on this site. 135 degree red and greens and a 270 degree white stern light when underway. 360 degree white light when anchored. And carry a spare bulb when you know you will be travelling at night.

Ps.. Brian - Loose lips sink ships..LOL!

up here in qld, it's as booty said, i am dumafounded at times when a lot of these boats i am refering to have got to go right passed the water police???:ohmy: i was going to take some people out one night with camera crew in hand, but thought twice about it, I DO keep a GOOD EYE OUT especially at night, and just worry about myself now, stuff the bloody idiots, serves em right,but you should know all this when you go for a boat licence, don't you, i'm not to sure anymore

stern lights and anchor lights are not the same,,,, just for those that don't know

bootyinblue wrote:

Good heads up now that the weather is getting warmer and people are venturing out on the waters later at night.

For the majority of power boats on this site. 135 degree red and greens and a 270 degree white stern light when underway. 360 degree white light when anchored. And carry a spare bulb when you know you will be travelling at night.

Wasn't going to say a thing...promise :whistle: :laugh: :laugh:

Your stand in was pretty good though. Thanks in no small way to the prepared beings amongst us :P

My stern light and port/starboard lights are on the same pull switch. Pull to first notch gives the anchor light and two notches for all three. Don't have a 270 degree option, but an anchor light is better than nothing and is 90 degrees more than I need. The front end pretty much covers any glow forward. What's your opinion of that ?

I run a standard trailer clear lamp on the rear of my boat, connected to the nav lights.

I then have an all round white at the rear which is about 10" above the thwart, and on the front I run an all round white 1m above the highest point of the boat. Both all round lights on separate switches.

I turn off the all round lights while traveling, they throw to much light into the boat to see out the front. The standard trailer light because it is on the rear of the boat throws no light in to the boat at all.

The lights I am required to show depend on what motors I am running. Theoretically if I have the electric only on the boat, I am not required to show lights at all, just have a light ready to display should I need to. However I run one or both all round lights when not moving regardless.

You should be aware Nugget was reporting on his show the other day people who obscured their all round lights (either moving about the boat, or they had bimini posts or similar higher than the light obscuring it even from a slight area,) are currently getting fined. Its one of the reasons I run 2 anchor lights (apart from the much better light in the boat to work by)

ellicat wrote:

bootyinblue wrote:

Wasn't going to say a thing...promise :whistle: :laugh: :laugh:

Your stand in was pretty good though. Thanks in no small way to the prepared beings amongst us :P

My stern light and port/starboard lights are on the same pull switch. Pull to first notch gives the anchor light and two notches for all three. Don't have a 270 degree option, but an anchor light is better than nothing and is 90 degrees more than I need. The front end pretty much covers any glow forward. What's your opinion of that ?

if your after my opinion brian, i don't care what lights anybody has on their boats, as long as they can be seen,but if the unforeseen does happen, your insurance might have a say, but not sure,just an eg. i was comming back to manly, just bloody happened to be a new moon,

comming through the leads of manly, eyes open doing 48ks aprox, not a boat in sight. i could see clearly 60 mtrs in front of the boat,and here was a 475 bayhunter quintrex bloody thing, 3 beacons out at an idle with not one bloody light on, i missed him by about a meter, and he got soaked by the spray of my boat, i can tell you i was as mad as hell, so i put my boat on the trailer, whilst sorting the gear out, a voice said,your a f----- idiot you d--- head.. well i finished right there and then.. WHAT i said, but he couldn;t get a word in, i was gonna belt the shit out of him, whilst all this time his mate just stood there and said nothing,, it's just the fact i could not see him and there was nothing telling me otherwise, white light??

im not strict to the books, but @ night time, have a light on front of boat either left or right hand side of bow, and light over stern, opposite left/right to bow light.

i would normally try and make these clearly visible to the most common path of normal boat traffic and adjust accordingly if i was drifting and the boat turned.

but on the other hand, i only go out at night in calm weather, so i can hear another boat, i regularly check their course, if there's even a slight chance of a collision (i mean, within 30metres+), i am always the first one to move.

I have been worried a few times, and have left the anchor down, but no harm done.

last few trips down to deepwater bend have put me off putting the boat in at night there. not only idiots with no lights (majority of boats it seems ) but a few yahoos obviously on the turps doing circle work in their lightless tinnies as well

saw a close call the other night when one boat with no lights was coming in to the ramp nearly t-boned another tinny (no lights) being stupid.

I aint jumpin in to help ya!

Shrimpo wrote:

Trailer Boats mate, although seems to be an awful lot of bigger boats who arent turning their lights on these days aswell.

Cause it drains the batttery that runs the wine fridge too much if you switch them on...:P:);)

And yes Brian, your stand in all round white light did just the trick and I am still meaning to get down to BCF to buy a replacment light.

MoparKevUk wrote:

As a bloke who has never been out in a "tinnie" this all sounds a bit scary!!! (I assume you are talking about tinny size vessels?)
my experiences have been in my 4.2 tinnie, 5.6 glass boat, my friends 6 mtr victory that was real close, i ended up in his lap, and some of these boats will be travelling at 60ks plus, but my argument is if i, or others can't see another boat on a clear night, because of 1 bloody light, and it happens a lot offshore too i tell ya, youd be surprised just how often you hear a boat and can not see it, i took a friend to harry's for a bash, he has a 9.7 mtr tinnie, and we go offshore a lot in it, and he shit himself when cruising back to manly, boats everywhere half with no lights, he said he would never go into the bay at night because of this..

Totally agree about the lights, there's some friggen wankers out there:angry:

Was just wondering though 48k's through the leads at manly at night, thats a bit dangerous in itself isn't it?:huh:

I'm a bit of a pussy when it comes to boating at night, I travel just over planeing speed. I've read in a few published articles that this is the safest approuch to night time fishing. Yep it'll take me longer to get there, But at least I'll get there in one piece. I could think of nothing worse than bobbing around in the water at night with your boat sitting on the bottom of the river/bay after hitting a tree or something floating around:blink:

As for the water Police, Love their work. I think they are doing a great job. I've been pulled over many times, I've even had them check Elli and me out while cast netting at Comslie:ohmy:

Jayson

chubbstar wrote:

Totally agree about the lights, there's some friggen wankers out there:angry:

Was just wondering though 48k's through the leads at manly at night, thats a bit dangerous in itself isn't it?:huh:

I'm a bit of a pussy when it comes to boating at night, I travel just over planeing speed. I've read in a few published articles that this is the safest approuch to night time fishing. Yep it'll take me longer to get there, But at least I'll get there in one piece. I could think of nothing worse than bobbing around in the water at night with your boat sitting on the bottom of the river/bay after hitting a tree or something floating around:blink:

As for the water Police, Love their work. I think they are doing a great job. I've been pulled over many times, I've even had them check Elli and me out while cast netting at Comslie:ohmy:

Jayson

48-55 ks is only dangerous when there is another boat with no lights on at all, otherwise all good, come out with me 1 night and see for yourself how dangerous it is out there, i owe you 1, for the barra park trip anyways

Archived