Advice on new spinning reel

Terry H

Well time has come, I need a new spinning reel for slightly bigger stuff

Line: 20lbs

Rod: 7' GL3 blank 10-17lbs or something (Lee?)

Some intended uses: Snapper, Tuna, Dollies, Barra

Some reels I've considered are Daiwa Advantage 4000

Another reel is the sustain (but not sure what size)

Thoughts?

yes, another shimano v daiwa :laugh: I'm leaning towards the shimano being more of a shimano man:P

I've just got myself a 4000 size Sustain for barra. Not sure what I'll put it on though.

I used a 4000 Stella at Awoonga on a T curve power spin, and it felt just right. Just a little pricey for me, so the Sustain should suffice.

Bit of difference in drag pressure between the 3000 and 4000, which is why I chose the 4000. Might come in handy I thought.

I'll be running 20 and 30lb braid on it.

Zim man wrote:

i am also looking at a new reel for the same sort of uses. currently leaning towards the sustain 5000. then again the twin power is also tempting. i am more of shimano person myself though.

Mate the new twinpowers and new sustains (I think) are pretty much the same.

The twin power look sick but! If you look at the specs they've got the same ball bearings and the same features.

Feral wrote:

When are you going to get with the program Terry and get a baitcaster? ;) And why so long with the rod, surely a bit shorter would suite the yak business better?

That would give you a whole new range of rods and reels to own!

I'm using two baitcasters right now

7' for casting distance

terry i just got my self a new combo today... team daiwa saltwater rod 8-14 lb and 7ft.match's with a brand new 3000 daiwa luvias...super light combo.

spooled with 25Lb bass hard.

dont think any tuna/macks or etc will escape me now..will be testing it this sun/mon and tue weather permitting around m'bar and the bay

but the shimano/daiwa debate is like splitting pea's they both make excellent quality reels..i just prefer daiwa.

I have shimano fireblood 2500, not sure why I bought it?

Landed an 80cm jew on it without a worry on 8 lb amongst structure, there was the next size up 4000 for 50 dollars more.

I would go for a reel like that 4000,or one that uses a similar drag system, its very good drag setup (not that I have any mechanical understanding of it).

BTW I bought mine overseas without a warranty(some singapore OEM distibuter), cost me 370 inc shipping, where as in OZ at the time they where asking out of my price range.

Dan

For my brithday the old man bought a stella and a sustain, btoh 4000's and said i could have my pick. Naturally i thought the most expensive one has to be better so picked the stella. When testing them out after i got snapped off and dad was making lunch, i just grabbed his rod to keep fishing with. Something about the sustain grabbed me so swapped back and have loved it ever since.

In hindsight i should have sold the stella and got 2 sustains:lol: :woohoo: :laugh:

TerryH wrote:

Feral wrote:
When are you going to get with the program Terry and get a baitcaster? ;) And why so long with the rod, surely a bit shorter would suite the yak business better?

That would give you a whole new range of rods and reels to own!

I'm using two baitcasters right now

7' for casting distance

You lazy bugga, paddle a little closer! :P

TerryH wrote:

trust me feral, I'll be pedalling hard to get there asap. :laugh:

But I like to cast on the way over, cranking the handle and the pedals - whilst the paddlers are still trying to catch up!

I used to try that when I fist started using electrics, then I discovered half the time when I got to the right casting distance I still had 30 yards of line out from that "I'll just have a cast on the way" routine! Now I am more patient, (I only have 10 yards of line out!)

Archived