Rust Converter Vs Brush on Galv. paint

Smiderman

Hi Guys

I was in at whitworths the other day and saw some "rust converter". According to the label its supposed to stop rust in its tracks.:ohmy:

The axle on the boat trailer is starting to blister up a bit with rust and I was thinking to just scrape off the rust and give this stuff a try. Although a mate suggest use brush on galv paint or hot dipping the axle in proper galv.

Any feed back on the above options , prices or perhaps a better solution will be gradly taken on board..:)

thanks guys

AZZA wrote:

Yeh it's not bad stuff scrape and wire brush any lose bits then follow the instructions on the converter when propperly dry paint with cold gal . If you got your axel hot dipped you would need to have the tapers where the bearings go remachined

i cant think of anything to add to that, its exactly what id do

2 different products. one converts the other prevents. can't prevent something that is already happening. I used to own an old mk patrol and used buckets of the converter on it. have a look at supercheap, they might be cheaper than whitworths. for the same stuff. do both to the instructions and you can't go wrong. (can get gal paint in a spray works just as good and easier)

I did my trailer over awhile ago by first removing any surface rust with a wire brush/grinder and then by painting on the rust converter leaving it on for 20 minutes or so which by that time the reaction was fizzing and bubbling eating away at any rust. Wipe or hose it off let dry then do it again if needed. Then I waited a day for it to thoroughly dry then painted it with couple of coats of gal paint.

No signs of rust so far after being done a few months ago!

there is a 2 pak product made by JOTUN called jotamastic 87, its designed for marine immersion, minimal preperation needed, a couple of coats of this will fix it for years, it locks all in and locks all out, have used it heaps and find it an excellent product, i source it from luxury paints down here, they are a qld based comp. so should be easy to find up your way.. ive been slapping the gooo on for 30 odd yrs now and this is one of the best products i have ever used..

Smiderman, dont touch the crab pots, the rustier and crappier they are the more crabs they catch.

Maxi - I've heard 2 pak is an evil brew, I like whats left of my lungs to keep working, so I was happy to just killrust mine, after dosing it with rust converter.

Feral wrote:

Smiderman, dont touch the crab pots, the rustier and crappier they are the more crabs they catch.

Maxi - I've heard 2 pak is an evil brew, I like whats left of my lungs to keep working, so I was happy to just killrust mine, afte

r dosing it with rust converter.

:laugh: :laugh: Less likely that some scrote will knock them off either

just thought i would extoll the virtues of 2 pak on the trailer axle... theses pics are of my trailer that has been built for 5 yrs now, the only place that it has shown any sides of rust is around the u bolts that hold the spring on. i chipped it off and it showed only surface rust, so i recoated it and expect dusky to get another 5 yrs out of it before any more maintenance needed. we are swapping trailers as im selling my boat soon and i wont get any more money for it with a good trailer sitting under it...

its not that toxic to use with a little common sense and in my opinion your pissin into the wind using anything else..

Maxi

Thanks For all the advice guys..

I ended up checking out a few rust convertor solutions, essentially they all contain the same "phosphoric acid" but the main difference was the strength. the supercheap stuff has about 47% whilst the whitworths & bunnings stuff was about 35%.

it works a treat. went over that with white night rust kill / primer and sealer / finishing coat

the test will be how long it lasts.. I guess it will come down to the quality of the preparation

:unsure:

Shrimpo the old girl sees a fair bit of salt in the local creek, I also never put the axle in the water, I pull up with about an inch clearance but other boats moving around / the chop make a bit of a splash so it gets wet with it.. But the grease coating is as good as ever. ;)

Archived