Lures

hulk

Hi all,

I read almost all the discussions on this site and see people referring to a rapala this or a hardbodie that but I have no idea what these are used to target and sometimes what they look like.:blush: I was wondering whether formites with the capacity to, would be able to show photos of some of these you beaut lures which they have and their description. I know we've had a lures addicts confessions thread with a run down of what item a member has but I am looking for more specifics and also the way in which some members set up their lures/ soft plastics. As mentioned in a previous thread, I really struggle with the use of non bait lures and i'd be very appreciative if someone would take the time to explain some of the finer details to stop my lure collection gathering dust due to my non success rate.:(

Also is there a publication which points members towards a certain lure or is it more a case of word of mouth success?

Thanks in advance

Hulk

Hey mate, I know what you mean by lures being daunting when you are not sure on the finer details of how to work them.

Perhaps if you put up a photo of the lures you own, or even just list them, members could give you a few pointers on what they are good for, how to use them etc.

I only use lures in fresh water (strict bait fisho n the salt) and the best bit of advice that was given to me when starting out lure fishing, was to leave the bait at home & just take lures. Otherwise it is just too easy to give into temptation & go back to using bait.

So if you let us know what lures you have, I'm sure that you'll get plenty of help to get you started.

Cheers,

Matt

Mangler,

Thanks for the advice. I will try and take some photos and upload them onto the site.The soft plastics aren't too difficult. I can put some of these up though some members may have their own take on what fish to target with these soft plastics.

I am more a sucker for specials:huh: so i have bought a fair bit going on price and in the hope of being able to use these lures to eventually replace the normal bait( live baits excepted).Once again thanks.

Regards

Hulk

Each time someone mentions a lure and I have no idea what it looks like, I hit up online shops like motackle... there a couple of Japanese sites that may show you the more exotic ones that some people here get. Dunno those ones off the top of my head, but someone will chime in with some help on these.

Personally, I'm a sucker for using the same lure and plastic over and over again... if its worked for me... I'll keep using it. So sx-40's, switchblades, and now 3inch squidgies. Colours.... whatever I feel like putting on that day :D

Here is a guess !

One on right is a "popper" good for still evenings and early morning, sometime ok if still during the day. Cast it out there and give it little jerks to make it plop.

Left is a shallow runner, probably about 1m deep, suit bigger fish, tailor, barra, flatties etc

2n\d from left is a standard minnow, good for flatties in that colour, maybe 2m deep?

Middle same as above, but looks like it may run a little deeper, colour often called fire tiger or similar.

2nd from right also a medium diving lure probably 2-3m, good on yella's with that shape. Will catch other stuff of course.

1st set of photos didn't work so here are the Sp's which I own

1. Red Rum 55mm Squidgy wriggler

2.Atomic 2.5 inch Cotton Candy Paddle Tail

3.Berkley 2" Power Minnow Silver Flek

4.Berkley 1.5" Amber Glow Clam

5.Berkley 2.5" x 11 Cut Bait Glow

6.Berkley sugar spice Pogy (about 3')

7.Tsunami pro 6" black swim shad

8.Berkley 4" nuclear chicken

9.Atomic 3' jerk minnow watermelon clear

10.Atomic fat gub jaw breaker,acid rain junebug & bad blood numbers 5

11. kokoda 9cm fingerbait

12. atomic 4' prong electric chicken

I've tried most but don't really know which jig head suits which.I've had some bites on some blood worm sp's but not to much success otherwise

cheers

Hulk

geez sorry mate I didn't even notice it was you that started the thread.

If i didn't know what a Rapala lure looked like but i googled these, I always google stuff.

http://www.getprice.com.au/Rapala-X-rap-15-Fishing-Lures-Gpnc_172--30326282.htm

http://www.campbellsprotackle.com/store/cats/lures.asp#cat42

on the last one scroll down till you see Rapala they are a Brand and have quite a good range .

Also with the sp's I wont give you advice Ill just btell you what I target and what I use, then you can pick whatever your style is from that as I dont know what sort of fishing you do.

I catch mostly flathead and bream in estuarys and rivers - staples are:

- nuke chook 4" minow

- lime tiger 4" minow

- camo worm

-nuke chook worm

- pumkin seed minow 4"(in anybrand, I like

the glittery ones like atomic and berkely

powerbait scale)

- Yeah and squidgy bloodworm is on the

money for that kinda thing

jiggs - 1/4, 1/8, 1/6, 1/12 ..mostly with a suitable hook size for the kind of fish you after

hope this helps, you may do different fishing to me.

Cheers

i dont have any of the ones you have mentioned but do reccomend using

80mm squidgy wrigglers in bloodworm and evil minnow

gulp shrimp 2inch - natural,new penny,banana prawn,peppered prawn,pearl white,motling

3inch gulp minnow - natural,pearl white, new penny,motling, rainbow

atomic guzzler 2&3 inch prong, old penny, pearl core (had red glitter) a few others which i cant remember the names of

shimano koebi chan

ecogear paramax

ecogear grass minnow

all the above mentioned have caught me fish at sime stage - some more productive then others and location dependant.

just remember to match your jig head to the conditions, ie fast current = heavier jig

yeah I would also have to say, we all like to try somthing new but once you get a good base of plastics that work I wouldnt bother trying anything new (too often, if you know what I mean,unless somone who fishes like you recommends it).

maybe thats just me but I have a lot of plasics that have proved usless and land me doughnuts everytime.

so get about 5 or 6 basics that work for you in your stlye of fishing.

Cheers

When you say ready rigged, is this stuff like the Tsunami holographic swim baits? Haven't had any luck with these yet. What's the technique? Pause retrieve flick flick? Howsabout I come over and lighten yer wheelbarrow a bit for a six pack?;) I've also got some Berkley powerbait 3" power minnow in pink lemonade/scale. (Don't rub yer eyes after handling these, you'll look like the only gay on the pontoon!) And some Gulp 3" fry in pumpkinseed. No luck with either of these, what should I be doing?

The Gulp pumpkinseed minnows seem to get hammered by the toads, one or 2 casts and the tails are gone. Ive been trying the unscented squidgeys, they swim so nice but i'm yet to get a nibble on one. Same deal with a eco gear sx 40 something, looks great in the water but nary a nibble. Been trying a range of retrieves but mostly slow with a jig, sink, retrieve, repeat.

Still getting best results with the ole chicken gut mixed with breadcrumbs. Usually fishing Shultz or the mouth of Nudgee.

Nice one, FalconForge! thought I was onto something today with me pumpkin thang, toads eating the tail as you say!!:( I've had great results on mullet gut, but recently the mucky stuff has taken 2nd place to bread on tiny hooks. 23-26cm Bream, no problemo! bacon rind worked today for Bream as well. Will be out and about at Cleveland tomorrow trying a range of baits and rods. Report tomorrow night, fish or no fish!! (Must remember to take a note pad!!)

Using Gulp plastics around bream country will always attract the attention of toads.

They throw off some serious scent.

If you blokes are serious about getting better with soft plastics and hard bodies, leave the bait in the fridge.Don't give yourself the option.

You'll most likely get more fish using bait, but a lure caught fish will give you a great sense of satisfaction. Your hard work will pay off.

Always think of your lure as being alive.

There is no set retrieve.Experiment. I used Gulp minnows on the weekend for bass. They are gudgeon like and I worked them in two different ways. One was hopped slowly along the bottom. The second was flicked constantly closer to the surface to throw off colour, scent and movement to attract fish cruising near the top.

The minnows don't have a real strong swimming action, unlike something like a paddletail grub so more action is imparted through the rod to hunt the fish.

It's hard trying to describe this stuff. The best way is to fish with someone who can show you the finer details. DVD's are a good option.

Any fish that hunts will hit a good old wobbler. They rely on flash and movement to gain interest from fishy things.

I fish mine just like a soft plastic. Lots of gentle flicks of the rod tip.

I even put scent on them for an added extra.

I mostly fish freshwater and they are very effective on bass.

Flathead will hit them if you work them a little slower, and let them smack the sand from time to time.

They are used on palegics as well as you can work them fast very close to the surface.

That little 10gram one you've got will cast like a bullet on light gear.

you can catch fish just flick it then letting it fall wind in , flicking it then letting it fall to the bottom.

Or 2 or 3 little flicks then let it fall wind in let it fall wind in ect ect.

personally I think the technique for the basic stuff is easily learnt, then the basic good plastics are easily found.

after then you can refine it yourself.

ps. yes choose you mark, wether it be bridge pylons or seagrass beds or juat a good channel.

also try to spread out the area you cover, if you dont get any hits in one place flick over another area of water or move along and work the bank (or where ever you are)

Dan

THe rod which I use for my soft plastics is a Wilson Graphite 7 foot 2 piece with a 6-14 lb braid rating.At the moment, I have a Daiwa 2500 Crossfire reel with 10lb braid on it. Does this seem suitable or am i better off trying different rod/reel/line rating?

hulk wrote:

THe rod which I use for my soft plastics is a Wilson Graphite 7 foot 2 piece with a 6-14 lb braid rating.At the moment, I have a Daiwa 2500 Crossfire reel with 10lb braid on it. Does this seem suitable or am i better off trying different rod/reel/line rating?

your rods a bit heavy - normally ppl using plastics for bream, flatties etc (common species) will go for a rod either 1-3kg, 2-4kg range - length is fine, and as for your line id drop it right down to say 4-6lb braid

Yeah I've got the Bushy and Starlo Squidgy DVD "back to basics" or something like that. Covers the very basics, and then a small step above the basics. Got it with a pack I bought.

Very good for the beginner to watch.

Can lend it if anyone wants to get it from me in Annerley.

Do$tylz,

that's a great DVD. I only wish that I could catch some of the flathead that they were constntly pulling in.I also have an Escape With ET Dvd which i ended up with.it's a good watch as it shows some estuary fishing and offshore as well.

Hulk

Archived