Deep Cycle Questions

fishyman

hey guys

got a few questions about charging deep cycle batteries

1. Should you remove or loosen the vent caps while charging?

2. i think i read somewhere having a battery sitting on cement is bad for it while charging. is this true? i might be making something up there though haha

thanks

fishingnut wrote:

silly question but how does the on board charger work? does it run off the motor? as you can clearly see I have no idea so I thought id ask

it is a charger that stays in the boat all hooked up to the batterys all you have to do is plug it in to 240v and off she goes you can carge mutiple batterys at once

Ok, I did a google search and found that:

Sitting a battery on cement USED to be bad for the battery. This was back in the days when batteries were made out of different materials. eg wood/glass and then hard rubber

Apparently now there is no issue with sitting batteries on cement. Although some old habits die hard

Edit:

/>http://www.kaltire.com/retail/services/batteries.php

I know it's car batteries, but meh. At the bottom of their page they even say storing battery on cement is fine. I don't think a business would say that if it wasn't true, especially given how "well known" it is.

Leaving caps off is to leave the hydrogen gas escape quickly and reduce risk of explosion.

NEVER EVER connect a charger to a battery when the charger is turned on.

You have to experience a battery explosion to believe the force generated.I had one go up in the telephone exchange at miles and the rubber casing of the battery went through the ceiling and then the fibro roof of the exchange building and landed on the roof of the next door post office.

Half the town thought a bomb had gone off.

Cheers

Ray

Archived