Wivenhoe 11/11 ID needed.

Beefa

Took a mate out to Wivenhoe yesterday, not holding much hope of getting much but he's been asking me to take him out there so he could get his 1st bass. So with winds blowing and over cast sky's we went. It was pretty slow with only a couple of catfish and my mate got a 47cm yella which was a 1st for him so he was happy also caught something which I have not seen before is it a Tilapia? It was making a grunting noise.

Cheers

Heath [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/011-667a46556befce6447d8a5beb1c9aa0d.jpg

post-1898-144598478135_thumb.jpg

Feral wrote:

Spangled! Would have chucked him back as a livie to see if Mr Cod was hungry!

About 5 or so years ago Feral, we were getting some absolute thumper spanglies at Glenlyon Dam - 30cm+. Didn't think to use them as livie's though.:blush:

Instead we had large crays out (about 4cm across) that didn't get touched.

The spangleds were feeding off the surface just before dusk.

Have to agree with Angus too - I've had aquariums for nearly 40 years and have kept a lot of exotics and natives. The spangled's definitely have great character and aren't bad looking in the tank either. They're pretty active also, which can't be said of most other natives.

Beefa, there's some days when catties can be appreciated:P I bet your mate will be at you again pretty soon after bagging that yella:laugh:

TerryH wrote:

Feral wrote:
Both Dams have been stocked with Mary and I think Murray cod (can remember reading it but not where)

??? afaik only mary river cod get stocked in QLD.

Is Glenlyon in QLD or NSW? That'd be the only exception I know

As ellicat said quite a few Qld dams are stocked with Murray Cod, the ones I can think of off the top of my head are Glenlyon, Leslie, Connolly, Storm King Dam. And then their are quite a few weirs and rivers around towns in the Murray Darling Catchment stocked with Murrays as well, Chinchilla Weir, Bonshaw Weir etc.

Edit: Forgot Cooby, Coolmunda & Beardmore Dams off that list. Good spanglie too mate! I would've just about kept him for a snack.

Terry and Co

When I attended the Big W comp earlier this year, Fitzy the organiser told us there are in fact huge cod in Big W. He said at the time they are as long as the picnic tables we were sitting on, but I think that was the beer talking:laugh:

In any case they're in there, and they must be giants as there is an endless supply of bait fish in Big W and they were also stocked quite a while ago.:woohoo:

Cheers

Yeah I'm a bit vague about the murray cod, I am sure I read somewhere in the early days of the dam (before the DPI stuck their nose in to stocking and limited what you could stock where)some murray cod were stocked into Somerset and Wivanhoe, but cant find the reference again.

This lists the stocking that had occurred up until a few years ago. Not many eh? Not when you consider what they have put in to Glenlyon!

marycod-1.jpg

Archived