Minn Kota Vs Jarvis Marine Vs MotorGuide

Smiderman

Hi everyone

Just looking for a bit of feed back on the pros & cons of the above electrics (bow mounted salt waters), I'll only running a small tinnie but would still consider 55lb thrust.

Clearly there is some significant $$$$ differences between them but most expensive doesn't necessarily dictate the best value / quality.

please share good / bad stories

cheers

Do not consider anything that does not have a composite shaft. It is a major job to change or straighten a bent shaft and they do bend quite easily.

I have a motorguide with a bent shaft just from a "mate" pulling the boat up onto shore while the motor was still down.

Minnkota used to have a basic service charge of $85 which included first hours labour. ( That was 4 years ago you would have to check with BLA to see what is current now.)

Cheers

Ray

As Leighton said, the Auto Pilot is the clinching factor. Everyone i know who has had one just loves it and wouldn't consider anything else.

Minn Kotas have a 3 year warranty - and BLA offer very quick service. Of course, everyone I know who has owned a Minn Kota has also used the warranty at least once - but it still doesn't sway them away from Kotas.

Yes they cost more - that is the only con in my opinion.

Marty

Used heaps of different batteries, but the best for me Trojan 120amp deep cycle.

Have had four electric motors over the years. Riptide 55 AP bow mount. The auto pilot is just fantastic. Estuary or impoundment, most of my fishing done on the electric.

Regards

Trev

I too have a minn kota 55lb with AP. Once u have had auto piloit u cant go back, its just like braid. i only know one person that does not like it but he usualy is the type of person to say that just to be different (so i still think deep down he loves it). I also know some people that have a watersnake and they also like them.. Like Marty said that they do break.. the only thing i have had a problem is with mine recently after having it for 1 1\2 years the auto piolit started to play up.. locking into turns etc.. all fixed under warrenty but when getting fixed the company "lost" my motor, long story short i got a new replacement with new warrenty.

even with all that id still get another one... The only thing i dont like about them and correct me, is that there american. :(

Another thing i also have a 120amp deepcycle battery. got it from a guy that runs "Atlas Batteries" Cheepest i found. I have a 3.75 stacer proline and it pushes that arround great. Never run the battery flat even after having nav lights, fish finder, spotlight, and motor running off it. Maybe come close to half charge at worst(after a decent session)

Nitris wrote:

I too have a minn kota 55lb with AP. Once u have had auto piloit u cant go back, its just like braid. i only know one person that does not like it but he usualy is the type of person to say that just to be different (so i still think deep down he loves it). I also know some people that have a watersnake and they also like them.. Like Marty said that they do break.. the only thing i have had a problem is with mine recently after having it for 1 1\2 years the auto piolit started to play up.. locking into turns etc.. all fixed under warrenty but when getting fixed the company "lost" my motor, long story short i got a new replacement with new warrenty.

even with all that id still get another one... The only thing i dont like about them and correct me, is that there american. :(

Another thing i also have a 120amp deepcycle battery. got it from a guy that runs "Atlas Batteries" Cheepest i found. I have a 3.75 stacer proline and it pushes that arround great. Never run the battery flat even after having nav lights, fish finder, spotlight, and motor running off it. Maybe come close to half charge at worst(after a decent session)

nitris is yours bow mounted? if so , did you modify the bow to accommodate it. pics???

Spidy

Mine is bow mounted. I only have a handle on my bow so getting it close to the centre was fairly easy. Unless u have a rail that goes arround the whole bow it should be ok.. U will have to cut some holes to bolt it onto the boat. i also have run my cables through the bow so i have a whole cut in for the wires. U can buy those quick release brackets for mounting the motor and i would like one but at over $200 they can keep it.

Just b4 u cut any wholes into ur boat double check everything. and also fold the motor out into trolling position so that u know it will fold out.

[img size=150]dsc03043ht3.jpg

w800.png

[img size=150]dsc03044gq4.jpg

w800.png

as u can c i mounted mine with the side shrowd off and when i put them on the side closest to the handle at the bow of my boat was hitting it, so i had to modify it a little to fit it on. As u can c in the pic.

Check out century batteries down wacol way

They have a factory shop there ;)

They sell blimished batteries purely cosmetic,

cheap as chips. I got a 600 cca marine battery normaly about 270 mark for 100 nothing wrong with the workings.

and they sell deep cycle's too.

Gaz

i got the 54 pound jarvis on a 3.5m with 15 hp motor it gets along all right is considerably cheaper i think i may upgrade to the minkota with auto pilot when the jarvis craps it self but in the meantime im happy with it

missus bought it for me for christmas

not bad hey

Archived