Noosa Bass in demise

rayke1938

Just been looking at a disturbing vidio on ausfish in the freshwater chat section called Noosa Bass in demise.

Big problems due to spray run off etc.

I know that the hatchery that the PRFMA lost a lot of their brood stock and fingerlings due to wind blown spray last year.

Dont know how to copy the utube link so you will have to go to ausfish to see it.Maybe someone could paste it here.

Cheers

Ray

Sorry I couldnt get it up on here faster, but I am having dramas with my Youtube account. Good to see another member has picked it up though.

Heres a little more reading on the problem.

/>http://www.maryvalleyvoice.com/ThreadView.aspx?tid=12596

Leigh

a.k.a Loomis77

jeff f wrote:

it's just bloody typical and the inefectual epa, the biggest waste of money in the government, wont do a thing

So when there's a clear evidence of an event causing harm to our fisheries, they do nothing.

When they have nothing but an agenda to base a decision on, they take away parts of the bay.

I love it.

heres an update on whats going on there now

its worth reading it all the way through if you're interested, and we all should be really, as anglers ..

its been all over the media but all the complete info on this is available here .... letters from gwen herself and no media bullsh*t ...

/>http://www.ausbass.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2890

hope link works !!

so todays paper said there is nothing wrong with the water and it is safe.

Should the word conspiracy be used? imagine the drop in tourists in Noosa if the water was unsafe!

The most disturbing part was about the chemical that was banned in the states- why is it used here?

I am guessing that the states revenue in GST from the Macadamia Nuts and tourism far exceed the income from fishermen.

Liquor Box wrote:

so todays paper said there is nothing wrong with the water and it is safe.

Should the word conspiracy be used? imagine the drop in tourists in Noosa if the water was unsafe!

The most disturbing part was about the chemical that was banned in the states- why is it used here?

I am guessing that the states revenue in GST from the Macadamia Nuts and tourism far exceed the income from fishermen.

The Macadamia industry has a HUGE amount of $$$$ behind it. So we are taking on the big pins here, so all support will be needed.

The story aired on channel 7 news last night, and they have put a different spin on it. They concentrated more on the locals who have been diagnosed (or died from) with cancer. With a possible cancer cluster, the investigation will be pushed along.

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwF54RdqGN8&feature=channel_page

SEQ water has recently postponed all fish stocking in our dams since this news came out. So once again, this will push the investigation along. I have a feeling this is one issue that will not be swept under the carpet...no matter how hard the DPI/F try.

Leigh.

P.S These type issues are exactly why the DPI and Fisheries should be separate entities. Joining them together can only be a conflict of interests.

Here is a bit more info from Gwen herself. This is in regards to the ponds which were contaminated, and the actions taken by SEQ water to postpone all stockings.

Where was the contaminated water dumped- Sunland Hatchery was told by DPI who was told by the EPA to dump it in the creek ! She did not do this and any contaminated water is still in her ponds on site which she does not use. Every bit of water comes from RIngtail 15 Klm from fresh water.

The DPI have been through the Hatchery in question with a fine tooth comb and she has a certificate to say everything in and on her property which she uses for breeding is clean. Gwen also has a certificate for her finglerings which she has now have a clean bill of health. To be shown on request.

The Brood stock in question were kept for 4 months and were offered to the DPI to come and get numerous times and they did not want them. After 4 months in a tank being hand fed they were destroyed .

Somerset/Whivehoe,s batch of Fingerlings are now" DEAD " Gwen today dug a hole with her backhoe and buried the lot of them. Three time a night they were carting in fresh water to the shed to keep them healthy but Gwen had to let them go.

DPI and SEQ water new she had a certificate of where she had caught them (ewen Mattock) and they were clean, but that's life.

Please find attached a copy of email that FFSAQ has circulated to stocking groups.

To all,

During the past week, there has been increased media reporting on the suggestion that Australian Bass in the Noosa River catchment have genetic abnormalities. The allegations are that the chemical spraying of horticulture crops in the region is the cause.

Sunland Fish Hatchery has been vocal on the issue as some bass fingerlings produced at the hatchery have had deformanaties. All fingerlings affected have not survived.

SEQ Water became aware of the claims, and initially suspended ALL stocking of fingerlings of ALL species into SEQ impoundments until the matter was resolved.

DPI Fisheries and SEQ Water then consultated with one another, and after DPI Fisheries provided an assurance to SEQ Water that there are appropriate protocols in place , and no contaminated fingerlings are approved for release. Biosecurity Queensland have confirmed that Sunland Fish Hatchery has appropriate quality assurance protocols established.

SEQ Water have now reversed their initial decision and are allowing fingerling releases as per previous arrangements.

This email is to clarify any alarm that may be circulating amongst SEQ Water stocking groups.

Please contact me for further detail is required.

Les.

Les Kowitz

FFSAQ Executive Officer.

PO Box 311

Nanango Q 4615

Looks like a bit of negative publicity has provoked DPI to get off their bums but its just a patch up job as no mention about an investigation of the cause of the problem

Cheers

Ray

Archived