SX 40's

Leighton

myself and nitris have trolled extensivly with sx40's on the shallow reefs around the whitsundays with both loop knots and small clips both with seemingly no advantage over the other.. the fish came thick n fast.. perhaps a slight bending of the eye with pliers would help u out dino?

i always took their depth to be around 1 metre

Mate I have always been under the impression its 1.5m for an SX40 if retrieving at the right pace. For a shallower dive retrieve slower or jerkingly. Thats what I do around pontoons etc anyway.

Im pretty sure I have actually read that as well. Eco Gear Website maybe? Ill have a look.

Cheers.

Angus

kiwifisho wrote:

I have had my SX40 bouncimg the bottom at 1.5 to 2 meters of water and Dino I have always used a loop knot with great results but its personal preference I reckon:)

Dean;)

I use a loop with bibbed lure and some crank baits.

Popper and jig heads I dont worry and usually just tie a blood knot.

Angus

Dinodadog wrote:

Thanks guys I'll get them swimming right I've only had them for 2 years and never used them.

Sorry Leighton for joining onto your post.

No problems, all valuable info Dino

Thanks Fellas, I wonder if there is a more valuable or used estuary hard bait around?

I use a blood knot straight to the split ring or a clip to the split ring..

i think if it is swimming funny when u tie to the split ring.. make sure ur knot is where the ends of the split ring meet.. im thinking if u tie to another part of the ring.. when it wobbles from side to side it might catch on the ends of the split ring and make the lure go funny. ?????

Leighton wrote:

Dinodadog wrote:
Thanks guys I'll get them swimming right I've only had them for 2 years and never used them.

Sorry Leighton for joining onto your post.

No problems, all valuable info Dino

Thanks Fellas, I wonder if there is a more valuable or used estuary hard bait around?

I agree Leighton. SX40's 48's and 60's get a bashing from me.

Im also a big fan of the CK40's. I dont a lot getting used. I only own one and have managed not to loose and its caught me stacks of fish, flatties, cod, bream and bass. Great lure. But this is prob info for another thread :)

Angus

after a sprog discussion on here a while back i went and collected some.. they weren't too bad .. defintely needed a tweak with pliers tho .. we trolled them side by side with sx40's at the whitsundays and both caught the same amount of fish, albeit random reefies.. sprogs didn't handle higher speed trolling at all.. that was their downfall .. hooks weren't an issue as both sx40 and sprog were nailed enough to warrant replacing all hooks anyways

Archived