yabby pumping

gonefishin

where are some decent spots to pump some yabbies around the north side of the river? and what is a way of keeping them alive? and how long do they stay alive for? do they die without water or sand in a very short amount of time like bait fish? i have a large clear tub (meant for livies) with one of those 'keep alive air infusor' if that helps at all?

If you change the water a few hours after catching the yabbies, (Ie they have purged, or basically indelicately - crapped out all the food they have eaten) an aerator will keep them alive for a few days if kept in the shade and cool.

You have to be red hot on removing any dead ones though, even one dead one will poison the water pretty quick.

With twice daily water changes as well I have managed to keep them for up to a week.

But they are a soft and finicky bait, not hard to kill.

I used to pump yabbies down south coast of NSW and had them in one of those big mayo buckets which had a whole seried of holes about 1/3 way down from the lid. Filled the bottom with a layer of sand, and then put it on the bank so water flowed through it or if out in the boat had it suspended so water flowed in and out without losin sand or yabbies.

I used to have a wire mesh container which fitted neatly onto the bottom of a 5 gal bucket.

when ever you needed a yabby it was just a matter of lifting it out of the water , opening the lid & hay presto...

this way it was easy to change the water and as one other guys mentioned, when anchored I simply hung the mesh contained on the water to keep them fresh and in transit back into the bucket they went

Archived