Long time reader first time poster

cato

G'day,

This is my first ever post on this forum, but I have been reading it almost daily since joining and learning alot about all different areas of fishing.

I have spent my life catchin bream, whiting and occasional flathead with frozen prawns and recently decided to take fishing a bit more seriously.

Long story short, I need some advice.

i am heading out sunday morning with 5 mates in 2 tinnys from the logan river and heading out into the Bay and around the jumpinpin etc.

Is there any methods/tips or rough directions to some spots someone could give us,to help us bring home a few fish for a BBQ in the arvo?

we will be using a mix of SP's, Hardbodys, poppers, fresh bait....and I have a casting net but never had much luck with it, but live bait if we can catch some.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any help you can give me.

Gday mate and welcome to the site!

The Pin is a fantastic spot mate and an awesome place to cut your teeth on plastics. I would personally be using 4inch Gulps (minnows or grubs) with about 10lb leader for flatties.

A good place to start is drifting the large open area at the mouth to the ocean. Drifing over the sand banks there bouncing a plastic off the bottom is often productive.

If you want to anchor up, look for the areas where sand bard drop into deeper water. This is typical flathead country. Cast you plastic into the shallower water and bounce it back over the drop.

Also never hurts to cast towards creek mouths and run offs as flatties often sit here waiting for bait to swim out on a lowering tide.

Mate aside from this advice have a search for past Pin trips in the reports section and you should be in with a good chance.

Cheers.

Angus

jeff f wrote:

if you are getting down there early try throwing poppers or spinners around the back of the bar for a

tailor or trevally

dont be afraid to bounce bigger plastics on heavier jig heads through any deeper holes or along any ledges you find

I agree with that Jeff. Leeann Payne sent me an email not long ago where Rob was doing just that from his Viking Kayak.

He caught 4 Jew for the session with several very large flathead as by catch.

I asked if I could post the photo's but they are being saved for articles to please the sponsors :) Fair enough!

Angus

welcome to the forum mate!

Ive never actiolly fished the Logan River before but ive heard of plenty bullies being caught throughout the Logan River, If your interested in catching one, than all you need to do is hook up a livvie and youve got shark bait.

Good Luck :cheer:

Thank you for all the info and help.

We ended up having to postpone the trip until probably this weekend due to another family member claiming the boat before me.:angry: So I went to BCF to drown my sorrows and buy some more toys.

After we finally make the trip this weekend or the next, I will be sure to let you know how we went.

Cheers

Archived