CSIRO doing some work

Gazza

On the W/E had a research vessel pull up near us and asked if I would mind answering some survey questions .

Sure why not can't hurt :)

gave em my phone number and was advised I'd get a call later to see how we fared later on

well they called this afternoon they were interested in my thoughts on the new zoning /what fish we targeted / how often I fished the bay etc etc

I gave them some of my thoughts which they thought were great IE: the makers of map cards for gps/sounders should bring out a sd card that overlays the zones on your chart to avoid possible breaches (accidental of course) ;)

I also advised them to look here (AFO) as there are posts regarding the zones (how ppl feel about them) and reports of what has been caught in the bay etc

(hope you don't mind Angus and Webby)

Sorry pro's in advance but I have no problem with yellow zones I usually only fish one rod and one hook as would lure/sp anglers and explained that as long as I could have more than 1 rod in the boat (not in the water) @ the ready I was happy :)

They were very thankful

The csiro do great work and as a rule remain unbias

I explained that I have witnessed pro exclusion zones before and after time local fisheries return to being their productive selves which in time means better sustainable fishing :woohoo:

There's more I can add (all good for reco's) about abnormalities in the bag limits but I'll answer them if asked

going to bed now before I get hammered lol

cheers Gaz

I actually thought the closure of breeding grounds was useless, as to start with, it would take decades to flourish again, and they would still cop a hamering from fishos, pros and recreational by accident, or at night on purpose.

I spoke to a pro who works on a trawler in hervey bay and he said sometimes they close areas down for as little as a year, and even though some of the trawlers pillage it illegally, when the grounds are re-opened the difference in stocks are incredible. The area really takes off without the constant pressure of the pros.

Maybe all these closures arnt such a bad idea?

Archived