hamilton, 21/3/09

nadders

Teck and I hit the river near hamilton this afternoon. Wind was blowing pretty hard and it was a bit difficult to throw hardbodys along the rocks so i started flicking some plastics. Not long and i got a solid hit at my feet from a flatty maybe 50cm? just estimating. he didn't hook up though. Another few flicks and i got a little cod, 25cm or so. Same spot a little while later, a 30cm or so flatty.

All this time Teck is busy snagging his plastic in every rock along the wall when he decided to move up to where the fish were holding :D but even if it took him a while to catch up damn he did it in style! right at his feet this big girl took him by surprise, a short tussel and some fun with the landing net and here she is:

bigflattyafo.jpg

By nadders86

68cm and nice and healthy. Quick de-hook and photo and away she swam to pump out some little baby flatties

fun way to spend a few hours!

i was using 3" atomic prongs and 2" atomic fat grubs and i think teck landed the big girl on a squidgy blood worm wriggler, 1/24 jig i think. we were fishing near bretts wharf along the rocks, all the fish were holding on a sandy patch in the rock wall

Those squidgy blood worm wriggler are the best yet, I have had the best hit rate with them so far. After that tussle with the flattie, my jig was a bit bent. I have to find better jig heads that can take a bit more punishment. The one I was using was a berkley brand. The water was quite reasonable in that area, I would say that water depth less than a foot was quite clear. Gotta thanks Nadders for taking me to that area though.

Archived