Awoonga - 2007

Brian D

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mistake Brian, comp at Monduran IS the weekend before we head up!

I've found another loop knot I like the look of by the way,

/>http://www.animatedknots.com/rapala/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

But I am trying to find that joining knot Ray had last time \"mikes knot\" I think it was titled, I know it is on here, as I posted it myself! But the search isn't working! :(

I am just a bit worried about the albright with the big difference in size between 50lb braid and 50lb leader!

Feral wrote:

My mistake Brian, comp at Monduran IS the weekend before we head up!

That's good news.

I've found another loop knot I like the look of by the way,

But I am trying to find that joining knot Ray had last time \"mikes knot\" I think it was titled, I know it is on here, as I posted it myself! But the search isn't working! :(

I am just a bit worried about the albright with the big difference in size between 50lb braid and 50lb leader!

I use that one sometimes but when I do I double the braid to match the thickness.the binimi is smoother going past the guides.

Poly has finally got some sex appeal:woohoo: Nice mate, very sexy.:S (The things us old blokes get exicited about):blush:

Brian, came across a nice reel, this would stop a trophy barra dead in its tracks!

30 kilo drag

takes 600m of 40lb mono

15 bearings

light as a feather

/>http://www.campbellsprotackle.com/store/product.asp?ID=4060

They seem to have forgotten the decimal point in the price though.....unless that includes the 1000m of braid it would take!

Well all finished on the lure front, cleaned up some of my smaller lures and rehooked the rusty or blunt ones.

All up I am taking about 40 barra sized lures, and probably the same in smaller lures (Going to see about an Awoonga Jack!, also maybe have a fish in the Boyne river one day)

Barra Lures ( top right is the predatek deep vipers 150mm long for perspective, long lures bottom left are 230mm )

barra.jpg

Jack Etc lures

jacks.jpg

I'll sort out some more soft plastics, just got to find someone with the original squidgee slicks in 120/130mm (whatever it was), I dont like the look of the new pro range, dont like the colours.

Might wander over to the sponsors joint (tackleworld) and give them some business, local tackle shops only stock them up to 100mm.

Well got my plastics today from Jones tackle. Only had the new Squidgee pro's in the big size, 11 bucks a packet - that hurt!

But I picked up a few packs of smaller old style ones for $6 a packet - sell out special, so that made me feel better!

Picked up some GPS points for Awoonga, dunno how accurate they are (IE what the water levels were when they were taken) but good for a starting point.

Old Ramp (Rangers ramp, where Yaks should launch)

24deg 4' 27.45\"

151deg 18' 7.41\"

New Ramp

24deg 3' 58.15\"

151deg 17' 29.51\"

And for night time or rough weather trolling, the Yellow bouy to Dingo Island run (Which follows the old river bed)

Yellow Bouy

24deg 5' 8.016\"

151deg 17' 55.176\"

Dingo Island (south Side)

24deg 7' 9.65\"

151deg 15' 35.62\"

Now remember if the water level has dropped since these were taken the shore lines might be a bit further in, so dont approach them at full song at night!

FOr the yakkers, the distances as follows

Old ramp to yellow Bouy - about 1km

New Ramp to Yellow Bouy - about 2km

Yellow Bouy to Dingo Island - about 4.5k

I am also going to take some milk bottles and old bricks, might mark the channel during the day so we can follow the floating milk bottles at night to troll! Beats following a GPS track.

Holy s@#t that is a big troll.

What about in nice calm weather? What troll then? (haha - it will blow a gale I bet you)

4.5km paddle - not bad, done it into the wind and against the current whilst also trying to make it back in a timely manner..

Going at a slow troll should be no problems.

Feral: The milk bottle and old bricks would be good - gives me something to follow. Did you get that reflective shirt by any chance?

Jeff - am I able to pick that tape up off you sometime?

Terry I'll give you a tow to the starting line but I'll be running a lure along the way. ;)

If it too windy there are some geat back water spots that you guys can explore.

There are also some spots just off shore that people catch LB from so paddle just out of casting distance is achievable for you guys.

There's heaps of options, just don't expect it to be like Hinze or Barron, it'll be more like Mud to Straddie.

Yeah, got a GPS Brian, just never learnt to drive it, have always had it connected to a laptop! (controlled it from the laptop).

Here are my plastics, most of the tsunami's are left over from last year! First photo is my Barra plastics, second photo my jack and other stuff in the river plastics.

barra plastics as follows

I've got 6\" & 5\" Tsunami's in Qantas, a couple of holographic tsunami's grub tails in 6\", and 6\" sort of tsunami's speckled shads.

Also a pack of white 5: powerbaits, 2 packs of the new Squidgee pro 13omm slick rigs (dropbear and purple), various packs of old slickrigs, 100mm gold, 85mm green/gold, technicolour yawn and drop bear, some Ebay Squirmiee's (worst swimming plastics I ever saw)a pack of 5: firebaits and a pack of teasers.

What do you reckon about swapping some plastics around when we get there?

I'll also be taking 4 opera traps and 4 shrimp traps.

P1080766.jpg

P1080765.jpg

TerryH wrote:

3ft chop? I've been in bigger.

On a dam? You have been in over 3 foot chop in a yak on a freshwater dam? Are you nuts? Why would you go out there in the 1st place?

My cruise craft is made for it, made for Moreton bay I mean, and yeap awoonga gets just as mean.

Feral wrote:

Ok definately settled, Ferg and I are going to head up early Sunday morning, staying in Gin Gin overnight. We are going to fish the afternoon and evening at Monduran. Head to Awoonga the next morning. Hopefully with something to brag about already!

Hey Feral, have you booked the hotel? I'll meet you in Gin Gin, I should be heading up Friday but I am pretty buggered (which will get worse before I get away from the blood sucking bastards that want to suck the fishing life out of me), so I may delay until Sat if I don't get a chance to pack. So like I say I'll meet you guys at Gin Gin.

Is that heading towards the water ski area? If so it is a good option for the Yakkers, nice points, weed and drop offs.

It's like a 5 min paddle for the shark biscuits.

9 more working days - I can feel it in my bones.

Gin GIn - Feral are our boats and stuff going to be safe?

Feral wrote:

No worries Brian, Probably be booking into the Gin Gin motel today. Its an oldie but comfortable enough.

I am booked into Gin Gin too! Yahoooo. I'll be there Fri Sat & Sun so if you want to know where the Moduran fish are you better be nice to me!:P;) I might leave a couple untouched for you. :woohoo:

Brian, the Gin Gin motel has a huge parking lot, you can back the trailer in under awning, or park it around the back on the grass, right up against the back of the motel rooms.

Poly, I am pretty sure Monday night is first night at Awoonga,, at least I hope so, I am booked into Gin Gin Sunday night!

It's booked for Monday 22 to Sunday 28(out Sunday Morning). Why out Sunday 28? Cabins stuffed up I asked for a week and got 6 nights. When I book hotels the last day includes the night but not with these people. :S

I might have to stop at Gin Gin on the way home.

Archived