Where to fish in Caloundra.

MoparKevUk

been a while, look for gutters, where there is no apparent white water breaking, pick a high vantage point and sus the beach out if ya can. look for surf out a ways, that will be a sand bank then calms down this will be the gutter, then back to surf again at your feet. get a box of mustad 7766 5/0 hooks gang 3 together and enough weight to get you out into the gutter. pillies would be my bait of choice, iqf pack. it can be a lucky draw out there expect to get tailor bream, and if your really lucky you might smack up a jewie. keep thr rod tip higher than the waves too, the higher your line is the better, won't get washed back into you.

Sounds good, Eddie. Will be in touch nearer the time as it's a coupla weeks to go, where are you based? I can break out my Ebay Special Ray Catching Saltiga! I take it it is a spinner rod? How long are the 1/2s as I'm packing 2 kids, 2 adults and Me in a Falcon Wagon, don't want to tie the boy on the roof to make room! (But if necessary he can wear his swimming goggles for safety, and I'll teach him to hang his tongue out like a dog in a ute)

My mates and i are always fishing at lake currumundi. It's one of my favourite spots and is really good for land based fishing. I may even be up there when you are, usually go every couple of weeks.

Have a good one

Cheers

DAn

• 3 weeks later...

Lake Currimundi has seen some good flattie and whiting action and a mate has pulled out an over the slot size croc once. In the passage area, there is a big sand bank near the power boat club you can walk onto and has weed on the southern side. There is a pretty expensive boat hire along golden beach which gives you access to the top of the passage.

Further down past golden beach is a park and a bridge across the entry to a canal estate, can catch trevally, bream and other stuff there supposedly (had little luck myself, eels being particularly annoying at night). Bells creek even further down is quiet and allows you to wade the flats there too. Otherwise the boardwalk and passage mouth have given up some big queenies, flathead, bream, trevally and whiting.

This weather has left Caloundra pretty crap for fishing recently though, lots of foam, weed and murky water. Best of luck though

Archived