what knots are you using?

davefishmad

noname wrote:

anyone use a longlining knot, similar to a snood, snell. but not actually tied to the loop in the hook, tied to the shank of the hook, your hooks stay nice and straight, not at weird angles to the line?

Yes I use that knot religiously for bait fishing for that very reason, it keeps the hook in line with the line. You need to be careful about hook selection though. Some hooks have a sharp edge where the the eye is formed and that can cut the line as it tightens under load.

There is a lot of different terminology in knots, but I call that one a snell. Some fishing writers refer to it as a snood. I've also seen others tie a knot similar to a hangmans,(thru the eye and wraps back up the line) and call it a snood. I dont think there are any rights or wrongs, just different terminologies.

Geoff Wilson refers to the longline knot as a method of attaching a dropper to a mainline.

dhess wrote:

Jeff,

Have heard of supergluing biminis. I am assumin it would have been on mono being a game boat. Also was it the usual super glue or the geel type?

i have done it with braid just normal superglue

berkley have superglue especially formulated for braid knots in thier range of products

but plain old sellys works fine

Who superglues their biminis? It's not something I do, as tied correctly they shouldn't come undone. I guess a little extra security never hurt anyone.

As for the Palomar knot.

Didn't (or doesn't) berkley state the breaking strains based on what the line broke at using a Palomer knot? Or was that just a myth :S If it was/is true - just look at how strong the fireline really is, and see how good that knot is. :)

I do remember (I think I do at least - I will check later today!) in Geoff Wilsons book it had tests of the Palomar knot, and I don't remember it being that great.

if you have to supaglue knots, i would suggest you go back to the basic's or learn how to tie the knot correctly. nothing is needed other then the knot for a bimini twist! i do how ever use a product like silicone that dries very quickly for me wind on leaders that i make up, it dries soft and flexible which is important for going through the guides if you use long leaders, which i also don't use. the silicone product is to keep the bound on braid in place, not for added knot security or anything like that.

TerryH wrote:

Who superglues their biminis? It's not something I do, as tied correctly they shouldn't come undone. I guess a little extra security never hurt anyone.

As for the Palomar knot.

Didn't (or doesn't) berkley state the breaking strains based on what the line broke at using a Palomer knot? Or was that just a myth :S If it was/is true - just look at how strong the fireline really is, and see how good that knot is. :)

I do remember (I think I do at least - I will check later today!) in Geoff Wilsons book it had tests of the Palomar knot, and I don't remember it being that great.

I found a lot of knots on fluro under 15lb are not that great, it's brittle.

dave

Archived