Ray's new boat.

Feral

• 2 weeks later...

Well after trying unsuccessfully to find a second hand prop to replace the one I chewed up on the ramp at the pin and too mean to pay over $200 for a new one I decided to replace the old 50 hp mariner on the beast.

I am buying a 115hp 2003 2stroke mariner from Michael at Coorparoo Marine. The motor is an extra long shaft and as mu hull is only suitable for a long shaft.

I had the choice of removing the spacer and either purchasing a long shaft drive shaft or having the existing shaft cut and welded.

There is another alternative that I went for and that is to have a transom adapror plate bolted to the transom that increases the height of the transom.

The idea or having the motor 5 inches higher appealed to me and I wasnt too happy about cutting and welding the drive shaft although Michael assured me that the shaft would be perfectly straight and ballanced.

They had a bit of a problem removing the o;d motor as the bolts wouldnt come out of the transom ( they probably havent been removed for nearly 30 years)

Transom plate is due in from the fabricators on Thursday so should have boat back on Friday.

Ray

wow wowo wow - lucky bugger

Good stuff Ray 115 should get you around with a bit of authority. Does that mean we can go outside for some big macks and stuff.;)

They 115 Mainer are suppose to be very realiable with heaps of push out of the hole. If you run it at about 4500 the petrol won't be too bad.

I bet you're jumping ot of your skin waiting for the transom mount. It's going to be an awsome machine. :cheer:

Your going to make Brian Jealous with all those horses!

Cant go to high in the transom I reckon! I really hate the modern style of transom 6\" above the waterline, cut 10 or 12\" below the height of the rest of the hull. Just a recipe for disaster if you cop a following wave on a bar or in a heavy sea.

Brian

Actually we have 6 boats between us. Feral

has 2 tinneys and I have one tinney for electric dams and a 5 metre hydrofield and 2 X 4 metre hydrofield poontoon style hulls of which I eventually wish to turn into a canoe.

Re new motor started first go then i stopped to talk to Jeff Flynn and the b###dy thing wouldnt restart as i used the choke and flooded it. Had to wait for 5 minuites and away it went.

Quite impressive 60kph at 4800 rpm and i hadnt touched the trim. Had to slow down for a couple of boats so turned around and headed back over 50kph at 3000rpm with motor trimmed out. Cant wait for opportunity to wind it out.

Got home and went to flush motor and power trim would only lower it half way. On investigation found the pin that connects the trim ram to the motor was half out and causing problem.

Took it back to Coorparoo marine and they said that it didnt have a locking pin in place so they have ordered one in for me and will fit it tomorrow.

Cant wait to take it for a decent blat.

Ray

Archived