Rigs for jew and threadfin in the river?

kakaryan

Although i know they will be bi-catch when targetting bullies, i wonder whether the heavy wire trace rig will decrease bite rate when targetting these fish or not.:dry:

what rig u guys usually use for these fish? i am considering down grade to use normal leader as the whether is getting cool but i also afraid if a bully take the bait i will lose it.:blush:

wesfish wrote:

you could try a minimum mono leader of 60lb ,as a mate of mine was using 40lb fluro leader just yesterday and lost a nice thready as it wore through the leader boatside....

Wow, never thought that would have happened. Normally one would think that 40lb fluro was more abrasion resistant than 60lb mono.

My one and only thready came from using cheap, nasty 30lb surecatch leader. Looks like I was lucky.

dhess wrote:

wesfish wrote:
you could try a minimum mono leader of 60lb ,as a mate of mine was using 40lb fluro leader just yesterday and lost a nice thready as it wore through the leader boatside....

Wow, never thought that would have happened. Normally one would think that 40lb fluro was more abrasion resistant than 60lb mono.

My one and only thready came from using cheap, nasty 30lb surecatch leader. Looks like I was lucky.

i should of said black magic tough trace not just mono :laugh: it is a matter of hook set spot only 2 days earlier he caught one with only 12lb mono leader snell rig , but the hooks were in the side of the cheek....

i use 60lb black magic tough trace for the threadies and sharks (1m of wire connected to about 2m of 60lb for the sharks)

only use about 40cm for the threadies..i do a running paternoster, 40lb leader to swivel to 60lb trace for the hook, with a running swivel for the sinker placed above the hook trace. if that makes sense?

nadders wrote:

i use 60lb black magic tough trace for the threadies and sharks (1m of wire connected to about 2m of 60lb for the sharks)

only use about 40cm for the threadies..i do a running paternoster, 40lb leader to swivel to 60lb trace for the hook, with a running swivel for the sinker placed above the hook trace. if that makes sense?

no it doesn't please explain:huh:

picture a running sinker rig only instead of the sinker you have a swivel free running on the main line with 10cm of line and a sinker on the end of it

<--- 40lb leader to mainline

free swivel

/

--8-------------oo-------------

|

|

|

|

|

o <-- sinker

hope this crappy diagram turns out...hahahahah

so basically the hook is on the end of a 40-50cm trace connected to the leader by a swivel, and above that swivel is a 10-15cm length of line free running with a sinker, attached by a free moving swivel

yeah true that i mean its just like any other paternoster in that sense, you can vary the length of line to fish different depths etc really depends on what depth you want the bait at ay

i usually try to keep it as close to the bottom as possible but away from the crabs and rays

Archived