what is a "normal" amount of noise while towing?

nadders

Hey guys,

just wondering how much noise my trailer is supposed to make while the boats in transit. its quiet on a smooth road but any little bump in the road gives some disconcerting "squeaking" noises i guess and a bit of knocking.

tie down strap is fairly tight at the back and the boat is winched in firmly. is this kind of noise normal or do i have to start worrying about cracked hulls etc?

boat is a 4.45 aluminium tinny

cheers

dan

They all do it to some extent. A lot of the noise actually comes from the drawbar.

Stand on the side of the trailer and spring it up and down, i'll bet it doesn't make any noise. Grab hold of the drawbar while it's connected to the car and lift it up and down. If it's like mine it'll rattle like hell.

teckee7 wrote:

Sure that is being planned for fiscal year 2999, is that ok? I asked for priority works cause I told them one of my friends hates having to take a big detour.

hahaha nice one good to know i have my best man on the job

weasel you are right the springs are fine, i guess my principle worry is that the boat is bouncing around inside the trailer which might crack it but honestly i dont see how it could be with the tie down and the winch

i am probably just being histerical but its a long drive from indro to whyte island so my mind wanders :silly:

what about an overpass from the caltex servo to the ramp at fisho's. always tempted to cross the double lines. but if caught that's another 15 mins of fishin time gone.:( both my trailers are pretty quiet. bit of time setting them up though. but piece of mind now. it will be more than likely the rollers down the middle of the trailer, replace them with black rubber rollers so the boat will settle into them, the poly 1's are just 2 bloody hard. my mates quinnie 4.75 sounds like it going to drop off the trailer because of this, but he dosen't use it much to warrant fixing the problem, he's just 2 bloody lazy.

hmm i will look into that rob, thanks. the rollers do seem a little harsh hey black rubber ones might just be the ticket.

when you say the double lines, do you mean on the other side of the bridge? i always do a uturn there out of the gravel part on the side of the road, over the double lines. whats the other alternative for getting to the boat ramp?

someone would have to have a very large pole jammed in their anatomy somewhere to pull you up for turning around there i reckon

nadders wrote:

hmm i will look into that rob, thanks. the rollers do seem a little harsh hey black rubber ones might just be the ticket.

when you say the double lines, do you mean on the other side of the bridge? i always do a uturn there out of the gravel part on the side of the road, over the double lines. whats the other alternative for getting to the boat ramp?

someone would have to have a very large pole jammed in their anatomy somewhere to pull you up for turning around there i reckon

yeah mate, past the bridge. easy money for revinue there! keep going to the roundabout about 300 mtrs further down the road. i know, i hear ya! and with that place getting busier and busier, they will be there soon! especially when the weather is good, your in a hurry, keen as, and bang, busted!

you can try and make trailers quite till the cows come home without much success but if you carry out the tips from above its still going to have some rattles. On both my trailers the skids, safety chains, springs,power winch and whatever is not secured in the boat all rattle no matter how much I tighten them also you get that squeaking from metal moving on rubber as in your boat slightly moving on your rollers or skids.

It is NOT recommended to use black rubber rollers on a tinny they are only for fibre glass boats. They are too soft and the combination of the weight of the tinny and the sharp edges of the keel cuts into the rubber and the next you cant get the boat off the trailer as the weight of the boat is supported by the skids.

I am gradually converting both my trailers to yallo rollers as the poly ones wear out. The yallo rollers are specifically designed for tinnys and also have a self centering action but are about twice the price of poly ones.

As Dino says its normal to get some noise from the trailer you just have to recognise what is normal and take notice of new noises.

Cheers

Ray

I think its pretty well covered but if the boat if firm on all the skid & rollers & is tied down well the noise is likely to be at the tow ball / bar. as wesfish said a bit of grease at the tow hitch will get rid of the creak and whilst you've got the grease out slap a bit on the traveling end of the leaf springs, check the shackles to see it the urethane bushes aren't too worn while you're there. Last but not least if you have a hayman rees style tow bar see that the "anti rattle bolt" is tight. Mine rattled & clunked all the time till drilled through the male part of the hitch and screwed the bolt all the way in. (a spot weld will also helps prevent the light fingered grubs from taking souvenirs)

Archived