if any of you are abu fans

apoklyps60

I've got a few ABU's (the Swedish ones not the cheapo copies) my oldest is a Abu 12 overhead I've had it 30 years now and it has caught some monster fish and still going strong :woohoo: my fav's are a 7000 best surf reel and boat level wind reel all rounder I also have a 5000 all overheads and a abu cardinal spinning which I was told not to put braid on by a reputal tackle store near where I live qoute" it won't handle it" Well first time with 4lb braid a 63cm flattie and a 1.4mt pike eel outtta the brizzy river land based against the tide :woohoo:

So the true AB's get my nod ;)

One point I'd like to make is that they like the old penn reels were the choice well before shimano and diawa

came on the scene

btw has anyone got a 6500 they want to part with :)

hope that helps you but that is just my opinion

Gaz

OOPS should have read the review but even though a great review I WAS impressed but for heavy duty fishing you can't go past a overhead

im a abu baitcaster fan.

6600 c4 older one with the baitclicker. busted. was trying to pendulum cast with my daiwa. well the 4 oz weight hit my abu which was in a rod holder. bent the frame to heck

6600 c5 older version - given to my lil brother as his first baitcaster

6600 c5 newer one

6600 tc

revo sx fav one.left hand light and casts a country mile

im gonna try and convince the mrs that i need a revo winch. lol. wish me luck

i forgot to pay homage to my 5600 c5 and another revo sx right hand that is now swimming with the fishes after i flipped the yak.

I have 2 ABU reels left in the collection. An overhead (6500C) and a spinning reel (Cardinal- can't remember the model number). Both made in Sweden about 30 years ago and both going strong. I wouldn't put braid on the Cardinal because the spool is graphite and I reckon braid would wear it pretty fast. I have bought some of the cheaper later models, but they are nowhere near the same quality and have not gone the distance.

I'm with Jeff on this one. I love the swedish overheads, they're bare bones basic, but they're bulletproof and easy to service.

I bought an Abu cardinal spinner last year. Still going ok and has a very good drag for the price paid, but...

The ends of the bail arm are made of die cast alloy that's been chrome plated. On mine the chrome started to bubble and peel off after about 12 months. Quite dissappointing for an otherwise reasonable reel.

Looked at them today at Anaconda, and they still have that cheapie looking chrome on the bail ends. I won't buy another.

anyone else ever have one of the center drag spinning reels they made in the late '90s

the drag adjustment was a ring between the rotor and the body of the reel

they were pretty good, killed alot of tuna with it

http://www.buy.com/prod/abu-garcia-center-drag-cd6-spinning-reel/q/loc/17250/200777364.html

i also had one of thier 6600ld baitcasters it was a lever drag baitcaster, wild reels i just about cried when they were stolen

i saw the vid on youtube of this reel and was thinking i might invest in one as a new sp reel. as i liked the idea of no backing just pile it up with braid but after reading that post i might try some tape on my current reel see if it stops the braid from slipping anyone tried this? i was thinking i might try and fine a small wide rubber band might work?

tho i don't think i can keep hiding the new stuff i keep acquiring from the other half...

lol i just picked up a 7000c3 near new condition except one prong on the star drag bent down and hitting the cast control knob, it was at cash converters and asked to have a look, the lady said it wasnt an abu it was an ambassdeur :laugh: :laugh: i just agreed and said i will take it for 40 bucks, they had 49 on it and agreed since it was not working and a abu imatation after handing the cash over i straighted the bent prong and laughed as it was smooth as , i then pointed out the small abu garcia part on the reel and walked out laughing, plus it is spooled with 6kg pretest, yeah haa dumb buggers, i even caught the first grassy on the last trip to mud to blood it :laugh:

Hey apoklyps60, Is the review on the same reel as in the first link ?

The review says it is on the 800i, but the first link is to the 800 (no "i") ; the review distinguished between the two.

It's late and I've had a long day on the numbers so may be reading it wrong :unsure:

The review certainly makes it sound like good value for money.

im trying to decide on the soron or the daiwa inshore spinning for my father in law. im leaning more towards the daiwa due to the fact they have a very good reputation for their spinning reels.also its a good 9 ounces lighter than the soron. but this soron seems to be a very solid built reel. hmmm decisions decisions.

wesfish wrote:

lol i just picked up a 7000c3 near new condition except one prong on the star drag bent down and hitting the cast control knob, it was at cash converters and asked to have a look, the lady said it wasnt an abu it was an ambassdeur :laugh: :laugh: i just agreed and said i will take it for 40 bucks, they had 49 on it and agreed since it was not working and a abu imatation after handing the cash over i straighted the bent prong and laughed as it was smooth as , i then pointed out the small abu garcia part on the reel and walked out laughing, plus it is spooled with 6kg pretest, yeah haa dumb buggers, i even caught the first grassy on the last trip to mud to blood it :laugh:

thats an awesome deal. i got my 5600 c5 for 69 dollars brand new. clearance. and i was happy bout that. congrats on ur new 7000

apoklyps60 wrote:

wesfish wrote:

thats an awesome deal. i got my 5600 c5 for 69 dollars brand new. clearance. and i was happy bout that. congrats on ur new 7000

damn straight thats awesome! my 5000c syncho was the same. some joker on ebay sold his to me for $50 due to it being 'older' .. so i scored a mint condition yet dated real that works better than some of my newer ones. fine by me

on the subject of abus i just bought an ambassadeur 6600 c4 to throw on my 6-12kilo dropshot

to use for livebaiting for jacks, jew, snapper, threadies, sharks, stingrays, pike eels, shopping trolleys, car tires, etc!

basically a 2nd version of what i already have for livebaiting lol, only the ratchet is in a more convenient place and the reel is of higher quality in general

nadders wrote:

on the subject of abus i just bought an ambassadeur 6600 c4 to throw on my 6-12kilo dropshot

to use for livebaiting for jacks, jew, snapper, threadies, sharks, stingrays, pike eels, shopping trolleys, car tires, etc!

basically a 2nd version of what i already have for livebaiting lol, only the ratchet is in a more convenient place and the reel is of higher quality in general

from what i was told the newer c4's are no longer made with the brass frames (chromed) they are now being made of aluminum for weight. how do you like your newer c4? i miss my old one.

Archived