Western Rivers - Easter 2009

mangler

Bit of a late report, but have been flat out lately & internet has been playing up like a second hand lawnmower.

Anyway, had great expectations of lots of fishing & kayaking over the Easter weekend. Was looking forward to a weekend of crisp mornings and warm sunny days, west of the Great Divide... Only problem was that the weather didn't agree with me, nor did the fact that I had a flu.

As a result only managed to get in a couple of quick sessions in between coughing fits, and miserable, cold, rainy days :(

First session, off to an old favourite waterhole, half an hour of casting all soughts of large lures with no hits. Then wham!, wow I thought, that was a massive hit and whatever it is was putting up a good fight! Thought it must have been a decent sized cod, anyway after a bloody strong fight up came this fella.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_2459_AFO.jpg

That is a size 12 Blundstone beside him, the boot measures 32cm...

It was the best fight that I've ever seen a yellowbelly put up, and also one of the yellowest I'd seen in a while. Unhook the lure and he was off...

post-2878-144598490577_thumb.jpg

After a couple more rainy days, decided it was time to get out in the kayaks.

Headed further west in search of sunlight, none to be found, at least there was the odd break in the rain.

Quick kayak session was on the cards. Put in at a new spot and paddled upstream chucking large cod lures at every snag on the way. No luck on the cod front, BUT...

I paddled around a large snag and seen a lone waterfowl paddling around on the surface, next thing BOOF!!! and the water fowl was gone... Next thing I seen a 80 - 90 cm cod freeswimming under the kayak, so peppered the snag with avery lure in the tacklebox, but I guess old mate Murray the cod wasn't that hungry after the waterfowl!

Oh I also caught some vermin that trip, ridded the river of this mud bunny.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC04239_AFO.jpg

Thank's for reading,

Matt

post-2878-144598490584_thumb.jpg

kriso - was a good sized carp all right, good to get rid of him out of the system.

Angus - thanks mate, in my experience, the cleaner flowing rivers produce the more colourful cod & yella's, whereas the more turbid water further west produce the more milky coloured fish.

dean - thank's mate, the ylla made my day, that was for sure.

dan - sort of mate! I cast a lure, thought I was onto a snag, then next thing I was on! Then I realised what hed happened, I'd cast over a set line that had hooked a carp... So setline was cut and the carp was removed from the system.

ellicat - I've seen that pic before, it's what gave me the inspiration to stay there casting. Also my grandfather caught a large cod once, and when gutting it, found a waterfowl in it's guts too.

werewolf - cheers mate, was pretty cool to see, even cooler to see the large cod swimming under the kayak.

kreel - thanks mate, there's plenty of great water everywhere, and now you have the kayaks there is no excuse to not be exploring... :P

tacklebox - thanks mate, plenty of other rivers/creeks without mozzies, should tee up a trip one day.

Slyhawke - cheers, I seen plenty of other carp swimming around that day that would have been bigger than that one.

Cowfish - thanks mate, yeah it's definitely a special part of the world.

James - thanks mate, it sure was an ugly old carp.

that's a pretty looking yellow.nice 1 :)

i would be happy with watching the cod and yellow swimming under the yack ,i like the clearer water where u can watch the fish swim about.

bugger fishing sick but worth it if u get some fish.i fished sick easter time too but was worth it as i got my first bass.

always good to see pest carp caught and out of the rivers.i had the kids carping hard over easter.

i'm definitely going to do more rivers/creeks.

even if u don't get fish it's just nice to drift down and watch the wildlife and fish etc do there thing.

Archived