help

djw

hey guys

so me and a mate are keen on getting onto some sharks... we are looking somewhere around the mouths canals in the scarborough area. fishing from land.

any help on bait choice tackle requirements would be greatly appreciated as this is our first time chasing sharks.

thanks.

mmm you really need to decide on what size shark you wanna chase, and that takes local knowledge, or at least an educated guess.

Eel is a top bait for sharks of all sizes. Use fillet on a single hook or gangs for pups or whole eel for jaws. Small river sharks go nuts over livies, so if you can get hold of some livies like terry said you should do allright.

As far as tackle goes, for the big boys I would have no idea :whistle: but for the pups don't go overboad, 15 pound is ample for sharks around say 1 m but if you are expecting 5 or 6 footers you should probably step it up somewhat (as a guess:silly:). Maybe 30 pound?

Good luckB)

Guest IcEkNiGhT

the 2nd canal is the best bet to chase bullies we used to get oodles in there under a ballon cause if you stick it on bottom you will get more vermin then sharks, if you miss out there try the canal mouth altho this place dont fish aswell as it would be expected to .

Yeah i would not bother using berley.

In fact the locals might blame you for attracting sharks if you do. Hence the use of eel for bait. Its as smelly as hell so therefore acts as its own berley.

Aside from that i dont know the area well enough really to offer any decent advice sorry.

Angus

• 3 weeks later...

Hey mate.

Any spots in the pine river which is better than others ?

Cheers

Heino

TerryH wrote:

Na mate, no need to berley. Try to catch some live bait (herring, mullet) and that should be fine.

One area you could try around there is the pine river (or off the hornibrook)<br><br>Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2007/01/23 18:29

Archived