Pancake Creek, Queensland

francomas777

Left Brisbane at 11 oclcok on tuesday night,

it was then a long trip to Seventeen-Seventy arriving at 6 in the morning tuesday.

had to go through a thick muddy 4WD track for 2 hours with the boat on the back after that, finally dropped in the boat and made way to our camping site. within no time we had the camp set up and we were off for a bit of creek trolling to check out the area. had a shallow diving gold bomber out and nearly instantly a nice 60cm flathead followed by an ugly stonefish. after trolling for 2 hours we had a nice feed of estuary cod up to 80cm and the flatty.

WEDNESDAY: woke up fairly late as the tides were wrong and went and casted for some livies. within 30mins we had every live bait you can imagine from mullet to garfish to prawns. headed out of the creek to the mouth where there was a coral rockbar and anchored up on the edge and sent the livies down. bit of a slow start followed by a double hookup that we could not stop on 9kg of drag. next cast we had a 50cm gold spot cod in the boat and a few differnt sorts of reef fish. tide started running out and went back to camp. later that afternoon we went out to get some more livies for a night time jack fish. pulled up on a corner of the creek in a big hole and set the livies close to the mangroves, within minutes we had out first jack in the boat measuring 58cm and guessing around 3kg. 2 hours later we had another couple big estuary cod in the boat and had been blown away about 10 times by monster jack and lost a big queenie close to the boat.

THURSDAY:

headed outside the mouth out to outter rock which is approximately 5km out and dropped down some pillies and squid trying to bag some reefies. within minutes we had macktuna and longtails by the hundreds smashing the surface around us. picked up the spinning gear and started chasing them. landed 5 macktuna on slugs around the 5-8kg mark and ended up losing atleast a 10kg longtail at the boat as it straightned the hooks. headed back in for dinner and shortly after we were back out in the creek chasing jacks again with the fresh macktuna strips. within half an hour we had 4 jack in the boat the biggest being 50cm stayed for another hour and got blown away yet again by many more of these monsters. we then called it a night

FRIDAY:

Packed up camp and set off to home trolling on the way to the boat ramp as we came past another rock bar we landed another nice jack on a sx60. then followed by running my motor into one of the rock bars and completely wrecking my whole bottom shaft of the motor and had to get towed back to the boat ramp, NOT FUN hahha. i will post pictures below now of some of the fish we caught and the scenery and camp area. if you ever get a chance to go up there go into the creeks and chase the jacks there is nothing better.

Cowfish13 wrote:

Thanks for the report and pictures!

Any particular colours work best on the Jacks?

Hey mate,

the best colour up there i noticed was gold, nearly all my jacks were taken on a ecogear sx60 in the gold colour and one was caught on a micro mullet which was pink and black

francomas777 wrote:

Cowfish13 wrote:
Thanks for the report and pictures!

Any particular colours work best on the Jacks?

Hey mate,

the best colour up there i noticed was gold, nearly all my jacks were taken on a ecogear sx60 in the gold colour and one was caught on a micro mullet which was pink and black

Nice one. My first and still only Jack on lure (caught this year :P) was on a SX60 in gold and black as well mate.

Angus

Archived