bream/ plastics combo on a budget

aichepee

harry i dont suggest a penn 1000 and berkley dropshots are decent rods except for plastics for bream and the likes you will wanna go longer than 6'0 maybe 6'8-7'0. you could spend a bit extra money and get a shimano stradic 2500 with a berkley dropshot and that would do the job well.

Depends if your just starting out or looking to upgrade ?

If your just staring out big w have some great combos that will leave some change in your pocket for some lures and line.

Or if your upgrading check out the for sale threads there seems to be a new combo up for sale every week.

As for brands shimano and abu garcia are ideal and berkley fireline is a good quality cheap braid to get you going.

hope this helps :ta:

Cam

Big W has some really good quality rods if you are starting out. Other wise look out at cashconverteres for a good shimano rod and pair it up with a Abu Garcier reel.

Again depends if you are upgrading or jsut starting out.

I usually use bait casters for throwing lures and plastics. I have two Abu ones that are paired with Berkley drop shot.

Mate, I bought a 7' Shimano Starlo stick (2-4kg line class) and its really great for flicking plastic. There is plenty of action in the tip to 'wriggle' that plastic. Then when you want to throw a HB around it can still do the same thing. Another stick to look for is the Daiwa Heartland (which I also bought) but that is at 4-6kg (from memory) and I use that mainly for HB. the Shimano Sienna reels as MJ pointed out is a great combo (line I use is 4lb class) to the Starlo stick as that is exactly what I teamed it up with. That combo has pulled up both a 68cm flattie and 40cm cod (both PBs) on plastic.

I would spend 220.00 on a good reel and get a starlo stick.

A good reel will forgive a cheaper rod, but a good rod will not forgive a cheap reel.

that way you have a quality reel straight away that will suit a better rod later on.

IMO tackle warehouse will have your budget stretched and you will get a soso

rod with a so so reel.

dave

aichepee wrote:

i wanna get a plastics/ flick rod for bream and whiting etc. i have 270 dollars. i was thinking the penn af 1000 with a berkley dropshot in 6'0 length. but any other suggestions welcome. thanks
Mate go into your local or watever your tackle shop is and fit yourself out with wat feels comfy to u, keep in mind some great suggestions u hav got from this thread. $270 will get u a great setup.Only thing i would suggest is something bigger than 1000 in reel size as there are big fish out there that will suprize u. :ohmy: Rod in the vicininty of 7 foot.

Dean ;)

Archived