Billies Bay-Hayes Landing Cut off at Wivenhoe Dam

Freshy2Fish

Yep all true... Here is a copy of the email I received today from SEQWater.

I have been informed that the wooden bridge on the road into Billies Bay/Hays Landing was severely damaged during the recent rain event, and the road has been closed. We expect that the road will remain closed for some time, as the bridge will need to be repaired or replaced by Somerset Regional Council.

Please inform all of the Brisbane Valley Sailing Club members and associate fishing members that there will be no access to the leased site until the road is officially reopened.

We will advise you when we receive further information as to when the road might be able to be reopened.

They are permanent gullies for want of a better word. Mostly dry or a trickle at best unless it rains like it has done.

There are 2 very close together and they would have to be about 3m drop from road surface but only about 7 metres wide, so so excavation would be needed to be done if a gravel track is to be laid.

But I am no road builder.......... ;-)

bootyinblue wrote:

They are permanent gullies for want of a better word. Mostly dry or a trickle at best unless it rains like it has done.

There are 2 very close together and they would have to be about 3m drop from road surface but only about 7 metres wide, so so excavation would be needed to be done if a gravel track is to be laid.

But I am no road builder.......... ;-)

Nor am I very good with measurements! Thanks Steve for the pics, as it saved me going there to have a look.

Cheers,

As a member of the sailing club I can give you my assurance that the sailing club has been in discussion with the Council on a regular basis about the repair of this road, not only to allow sailing access, but access for all the associate members of the club.

The council has confirmed that barring another deluge then the bridge will be repaired in time for the 2009 Wivenhone Winter Marathon which is scheduled to be held on the June long weekend.

I was planning on travelling up there on Wednesday to check on completion or progress of the work and will post something accordingly.

Cheers,

Just got an email to say that repairs are well underway and envisage road to be open in a few days.

From this sentence you can probably guess as to the progress of the repair. I really hope it was not a fisho from here.

'While on site today some dickhead fishing member pushed the road closure signs over and drove over the bridges to the lease. Michael took his key an told him to piss off!'

ahh Booty there are always dropkicks in every organisation!.

This Michael bloke should have been a bit more cunning, got the council to cut a hole across the repair and everyone just wandered off to the nearest high spot, crabbed a few tinnies, settled down and waited to see what the boofhead did when he got back to the bridge ! Would have made a good afternoons entertainment.

Particularly if you had left a suitably small shovel close by!

To add to this incident, over this weekend there were other problems that arouse around that side of Wivenhoe,signs torn down, fisherman accessing private property and someone using powered craft out from Billies bay....Also Some clown decided to attack the main gate leading into Hamon Cove... people wounder why its getting harder to access the dam and why Seq wont open areas up for fishing....

that's a decent hole at the end of the bridge.

wouldn't try and cross it unless u are the dukes of hazard. :laugh:

dam bugger doing the wrong thing makes us all look bad.pisses me off,we go out of our way to do the right thing ,and these turds screw it up for us.

up at kholo no fishing from the bridge to the weir .seen a few head down there and fish there .even after i chatted with them and said hey u can't go there that braking the law.

there opinion was wink wink m8 every1 dose it.sometimes u mose well bang your head against a wall.

****UPDATE ON THE BRIDGE*****

UP there today, its still closed off, the concrete is still not completely dry,, thanks 2 some clown, the barriers were smashed down and someone has written a nice message in the concrete, i would say by Friday it could be all good,, depends on the engineers from the council, like i said last time, there is issues with the bridge in rotting and the condition....

very true, i think if the pressure was put on the council to replace it , then it would be done, it would take the whole club to get onto the council and push them, i know they are fixing other simular bridges around the area. if every member wrote to the council, both in the sailing club and fishing club then i would say something would be done!

Archived