Quick NPD Yak this morning.

Feral

Well the Mrs got home from work about 7:30, then declared I had to be home by 11:30 to take daughter horse riding!

Strewth not a lot of time!

SO 20 minutes later I'm launching the Yak in to North Pine Dam, the high water is really good, makes launching yaks off the ramp a breeze as there is a nice flooded grass bank there instead of the rocks when the water is lower!

As I launched a westerly wind spring up, typical seabreeze I thought, south easterlies forecast! So I abandoned my plan to go down stream and headed in to the wind upstream, initially trolling a deep diving RMG. After half an hour and no luck, I swapped to a blue G vibe. I was just about to change it when I caught a nice bass in the mid thirties, so I decided to persevere with the G Vibe. Got another couple of hits, but no hook ups. Then the wind swung around totally and settled in to a strong easterly!

Strewth, so I battled it back to the ramp in to the teeth of the gale, and was off the water by 10:30, changed to a heavier G Vibe on the way back, but was silly enough to stop paddling to grab a photo and that was the end of that G Vibe! donated to the underwater structure. (To used to trolling floating lures!)

Met Michael at the ramp, he had a big green yak with Viking on it, but not a model I recognised. He was already packed up so I didn't get a great look at it, but looked a bit like those open ocean fibreglass type kayaks. Could be totally wrong though! He had gone down the dam and done his trip with the wind at his back both ways! He said the bass were on around the red claw pots, he believed the bait was acting as burley, because they were schooled right on the individual pots.

Here is the ramp as it is now

P5310002.jpg

Here is the bass I caught.

P5310007.jpg

Nice to meet you Andrew. My yak is a viking profish. The dam looks great with the water up to the tree line.

I tried a different tactic today and it payed off. I would normally troll deep divers but that hadn't been working lately so I changed to a deception palaemon and an sx40 and got right into the shallows.

Picked up a nice Yella on the deception lure just around the corner from the ramp then continued downstream trying to follow the 3m line which took me through a lot of yabby trap floats in a little bay and hooked two bass before moving on. When I passed the next set of floats I hooked another couple of bass and there was a fair amount of action on the sounder.

the wind had changed direction by then so i headed back to the ramp and caught an under size bass and one in the mid 40's on the way back. All fish were caught on the little deception lure today and all except the yella were near redclaw traps.

Will see you out there sometime.

Mick

Archived