Borumba Dam

DanTheMan

This coming weekend im going to try fishing in Australia for the 1st time, been here over a year (from NZ) and I think it's about time I gave it a go.

So I would like to head to Borumba Dam and try my luck. I have only ever fished in NZ and I'm not sure about fishing here, things seem quite different. I have got my SIP permit, and got some gear today, but am unsure on which lures are best.

So if any one could give me any tips, would be much appreciated!

Cheers, Dan.

My last couple of trips there have been tough. The bass have been hard work on lures, but there is heaps of shrimp to be caught for bait. The saratoga are still active, lots of smaller ones and a few to make you take notice.

firstly, do you have a boat?

if so, yo will want to launch at daybreak and head up the dam into the timbered arms to avoid the ski lice, borumba is bad enough on weekends but the queens brithday long weekend is particuarly busy with both campsites fully booked,

For toga, try topwater lures, any that cowfish mentioned will all work plus others aswell, spinnerbaits worked high in the water coloumb will also work well, if you want to target bass then try jackalls worked off the points and you should come up with a few

if you dont have a boat i wouldnt bother, next to no access with ski boats racing past.

I will be there sunday, plan on launching around 5.30, and not returning until after dark, only chasing toga

Thanks for the all the helpfull info guys.

Na dont have a boat, thats not good news, might have to give somewhere else a try, I was hoping to catch a toga, but anything would be good really.

How about the creeks around the sunny coast? I'm unsure on laws, couldn't find anything about permits etc, I have often seen reasonable sized fish dart off in (I think) Booloumba Creek, either in or bordering Conondale National Park, Theres a sign up to say that there are Mary River Cod found there (I'm aware they're protected). The waters crystal clear, deep and slow flowing in area's, looks like a great spot, in a beautiful area too, dont see many people there, its along a gravel road supposedly only suitable for 4WD but I can get my car through the river where it crosses the road if there hasnt been any rain.

There is also area's where the river is murky, and much deeper, which may be better as standing on the bank wont spook the fish as easily as in the clear waters, I never get a good look at them. Wouldnt have a clue what fish would be there or what the ones i have seen are, apart fom a few cat fish.

Archived