Hornibrook sand flats

Bluevien

Been reading good reports about low-tide fishing here so want to give it a crack tomorrow. Can someone pls post closest parking for landbased fishing, where to walk to and other tips if possible. I've only fished off the old hornibrook bridge once so not too familiar with the area.

Many thanks.

There is parking at either end of the old bridge. On the southern side turn left (when heading outbound) at the set of lights directly before the bridge. There is a small road there that leads to plenty of parking and a big park.

In terms of fishing I have only tried there once or twice without any success. Got sick of toadfish destroying the plastics. I have heard plenty of stories of decent flathead though. Fish the run out and walk out to the channel.

i have fished both sides...no luck on on the northern side and ive caught many flatties on the southern side biggest going 62. i usually go 2-3hrs before low and fish until the turn.

edit: bait or lures?? I've only caught on lures

(maily plastics) there, tried bait once with no luck

Yep, southside of the bridge on the ebb tide. If you don't own any lures go get a couple of cheapo lures and work them in from the deeper water. There are flathead there, you just gotta put in cast after cast. It was the spot I used to fish when I lived at Brighton.

Thanks for all the reply guys. I've read some of BMX'x reports on his flatty hunts which got me thinking about fishing here but just didn't know exactly were to go. I'll be using soft plastics leading into low tide tomorrow morning so hoping they'll get some interest from the resident lizards.

I'll put in a report with how I go.

Cheers.

Went out yesteday and fished the southern end for a few hours leading into low tide. Nothing to report apart from foul hooking the smallest whiting I have ever seen 5 minutes before leaving but did get some nibbles on the plastics every now and then to keep me from packing up ealier. It didn't help that the damn toadies where also biting my toes!!! No doubt flatties are out there but not for me on this day.

I definitely will give it another crack maybe when the weather clears up.

Cheers.

I fished there on Sunday with my young fella, his first intro to plastics with no success either. I did speak to a bloke there who apparently fishes it regularly. He pretty much said prior to the rain you couldn't miss, however since they're not getting anything.

I think it may take a little time to settle. :(

Brett

Archived