Single Hooks VS Trebles.

paulymassy

im a fan of singles for the larger fish and trebles for the smaller ones, i'm of the opinion that eg a bream hitting a lure is more likely to hook up on a pair of trebles and is usually stuck on well enough, whereas something bigger like a threadie or jew might easily shake small trebles and will get a much better hookup on a single

im sure small singles work well for bream too but i guess i never really considered it cause i don't find that i drop a huge amount of bream on hardbodies once they're hooked

It's funny, I may have been just a bit unlucky...

When I started trolling big hardbodies offshore I ajust used the trebles that came with them and landed heaps of wahoo tuna etc. with very few missed hook ups and very few dropped fished, until one day we lost a very sizeable wahoo boat size casuing me to upgrade to decoy single hooks. From then on it became very hard to convert strikes into solid hook ups, but once hooked i would be very rare to lose a fish.

For now I have switched back to trebles. Mostly running X-rap magnum 30's and halco 190's.

Singles are generally to long, they will catch each other when casting, heck, a lot of trebles are to long as standard and will catch each other when casting. FIrst thing I do with a new lure is check for the hooks catching each other, then upgrade to shorter, but usually stronger hooks.

Archived