Land based game fishing

rastus

long story short i got onto some kingfish and some tuna at the spit. at different times and i just loved the buzz of them pulling line and i have tired again several times but it was just dumb luck i think when i first got them.

i was wondering if there were any land based game fishers on here that i might be able to tag along with. i think that experience might be the key with collecting bait and times to go and i have not been able to find much information thus far.

so any help would be much welcomed i would live to get onto a larger tuna or kingfish as with just the smaller ones were allot of fun.

hi

i can only wish that i had the luck to get onto anything worth a mention at the spit ... apart from the huge rock "fish" that i manage to snag at the spit :laugh:

an older fella i met at the shorncliffe pier related how he manages to get 15kg jewies from the spit ... apparently when the weather was rough ... strong winds and rough seas he reckons is the key ... he ballons out bait ... when i mentioned snags he mentioned a white rock at the spit which he uses as a marker for safe casting without snagging on the rocks ...

excited i went down in search of the safe spot ... but to no avail ... being land based too, i'd really appreciate help with the spit ... or anywhere where i could put my gear up against a great fighting fish ...

atm ... spit 5 me nil :laugh:

yeah the spit is tricky and i have found that the balloons are bad for floats there as they have to much drag in the water they and are a pain in the ass to cast. i can manage to sink bait out there i have a good surf rod an with braid it is not so bad. i would like to find somewhere else tho, travel time does not bother me but i cant seem to find any good land spots on Google earth with access to deep water.

i have seen a couple vids on youtube of tuna fishing from the rocks but i think its down near syd and that is a little to far for me.

Tathra on the Southern NSW coast is a great spot,A boat ramp and 10km to the continental shelf (I think),River fishing, beach and rock fishing and an old wharf that goes straight into deep water.

I've seen a 9 foot Hammerhead laying on the Wharf one time when I arrived in the morning, another time a 5-6 foot Kingfish cruising aroung the edge of the jetty (ignoring everything that was thrown at it by a jetty full of babbling fishermen)

A mate and I spent a week on holidays there about 15 years ago, fishing and getting hammered in the pub (which was quite famous at the time)

We had an amazing week of fishing, had a really mixed week, Tailor, Flathead and one amazing day when we were getting smashed by Bonito......nearlly all day.

I think we only landed three......but it was amazing, the single best day of fishing I've ever had.

Anyway.......I think I may have read about the lighthouse point in Byron Bay being a good land based game location.

I'd love to learn more about this kind of fishing also.

Anyone wanna do a camping trip to Byron?

Off the rocks at currumbin is awsome.It is good flat sort of rock lots of cunjivoi and live rock really deep troths and ledges. Fish it now while the wind blows from the west I can cast an un wieghted pillie about 70mtrs out into the blue and a paternoster style rig well over the 100mtr. I use a 18ft and a 16ft rod with alveys fully spooled with 12lb and 15lb line and 30lb leader. was there on the saterday and got 24 striped tuna 19 bonito 2 GT's around 50cm 3 greenback tailor and heaps of chopper tailor some dart and some other fish that looked like a papuan trevally but really small. other guys were catching luderick and bream and flathead but I wanted the bigger stuff out in the blue water thats where a long rod and strong westerly helps. you can fish currumbin on a northerly and a southerly wind as well.

thanks for the reply's

i might give currumbin a go this weekend Gee'd up some boys at work and might give it an early session sat.

i want to get some live bait out there i think i might try around the bridge to get some livies. any more info would be good.

i have seen a bit about jarvis bay and stuff from over in w/a but it is a bit to far to go for a weekend fishing trip and i don't think i will have the time or money anytime soon to splurge on a trip like that. wedding to pay for...

if anyone with a bit of experience in this type of fishing wouldn't mind an apprentice dont hesitate to msg me ;)

yeah sorry, the rocks that are at the front of currumbin creek south side.They head out into the water further and makes it easier to cast into the deep blue water.These rocks are out far enough that you can cast your bait at the back of the deep gutter that has been forming there on the south side of the rocks.

mick fillet wrote:

Off the rocks at currumbin is awsome.It is good flat sort of rock lots of cunjivoi and live rock really deep troths and ledges. Fish it now while the wind blows from the west I can cast an un wieghted pillie about 70mtrs out into the blue and a paternoster style rig well over the 100mtr. I use a 18ft and a 16ft rod with alveys fully spooled with 12lb and 15lb line and 30lb leader. was there on the saterday and got 24 striped tuna 19 bonito 2 GT's around 50cm 3 greenback tailor and heaps of chopper tailor some dart and some other fish that looked like a papuan trevally but really small. other guys were catching luderick and bream and flathead but I wanted the bigger stuff out in the blue water thats where a long rod and strong westerly helps. you can fish currumbin on a northerly and a southerly wind as well.

:laugh: :laugh: i thought you were busy saturday :laugh: i kinda guessed you wanted to hit the surf action on the weekend!

mick fillet wrote:

might see you down on currumbin rocks saterday morning i have a feeling that the tailor might be hanging out in the back water of the deep gutter on the southern side of the rocks. light on shore winds are predicted.

Swell was up today mate and because there is no sand left out the back to slow the swell down it was coming straight over the rocks and would be a bit difficult to fish. It is predicted to build more over the next day or two as well as the rain moves in. Was good over the past three days when it was flat.

Brett

hey guys, i havn't done much fishing in brisbane at all and i was looking at currumbin on google maps. On the north side of the creek/river there is a built rock wall and right where there is a kink in the rock wall it is deaper and there is hole there, check it out it is probably nothing but wata ya rekon through there?

google maps is probably showing an older photo or a not to recent one of the place.The place changes a little.For a current live update of the place use the surf cameras online and select queensland and then scrool down through all the different locations until you hit the currumbin surf cam and it will show live footage of the creek and the ocean.

I check out the surf cams early the morning and could only see the birds diving and working the area in front of snapper.How flat is it today down the coast tomorrow should be flater than today with lighter winds.

mate check ya weatther forcast [issued 1506 Friday]

DOUBLE ISLAND POINT TO POINT DANGER

Friday until midnight: S/SE winds 15/20 knots, reaching 20/25 knots at times

north of Cape Moreton. Seas 1.7 to 2.2 metres. A 2 metre SE swell. Scattered

showers, isolated thunderstorms.

Saturday: SE/E winds 15/20 knots. Lighter SW/S winds inshore early. Seas to 1.7

metres. A 2 metre SE swell. Scattered showers.

Sunday: E/NE winds 15/20 knots reaching 20/25 knots offshore.

Monday: NE winds 10/15 knots, reaching 15/20 knots at times offshore

how do u catch tuna and kingfish. im coming from the US and will be there at the end of june. are they an easy to release fish. do you need surf rods to fish it? and are they more towards the open ocean side or the harbor side? what lures work? thank you for all the info.

it was S/W this morning down burleigh , had a delivery down there and scoped it out , it wasnt that strong the wind and the swell was not too bad as well

check seabreeze gold coast coolangatta even it said this morning was sw and light, didnt pick up till after lunch,

I hope its a repeat of todays weather tomorow they reckon its going to get to 15kts by saterday arfternoon 8-10s still predicted in the morning. I might do a bit of rock hoping tomorrow I think I'll try currumbin and elephant rock first up then move down to snapper rocks if nothing is happening.Might even go to a pub arfter that.

Archived