River Sharking 09-02-2007

werewolf

Steve, Romeo and I hit the river at first light, hoping for some shark and just maybe salmon action. I was only at the water for about 10 minutes before the others, but I still managed to secure around a dozen livies to start with. I even managed a 27 cm bream and a small tailor!

Steve turned out to be an absolute sleeper with the cast net. Despite trying to convince me he had never thrown it in water before, one particular cast of his landed about 15 or so Boney Bream ranging from 5 to 7 inches. Adding in the half dozen mullet he also pulled in and we had bait for the morning.

It was just past 6 when we had the first run. My little bait runner just started howling! I ran over, engaged the drag and set the hook but it just kept running and running and running! The little Okuma bait runner was rapidly running out of 15 pound line so I had to make the painful choice to start tightening up the drag. Slowly the runs slowed (mind you I only had about 1 or 2 layers of line across the spool by this stage) and I could begin the slow process of pumping line back in. There was a decent amount of weight on the line, which reminded me that I had forgot to bring the gaff… The 4 foot shark I was envisioning was going to be impossible to drag up the 10 foot bank without a gaff! Meanwhile Charles took some video of the battle (I will post this file later) and set up the rope to help climb down the bank. After a good 10-15 minute battle we finally saw colour and it was, yep, a shark no bigger than what we normally catch! However I had hooked the shark on its side, so no wonder it felt sooo heavy! Mildly disappointed we netted and hoisted up the bank an 83 cm 4.5 kg Bull Shark that gave the best shark battle I have ever seen. This was also my 10th even Bull Shark so it was a hell of a way to celebrate making double digitsB)

I fixed my rig, rebaited and was in the process of cleaning the shark when Charles's little 8 lb, 5 foot rod got slammed and was losing line in a big way! Here we go again! I figured I had plenty of time to finish cleaning my shark and by the time I got over to Charles with the net he was yelling out that he had a big “bream-looking†fish. As soon as I saw it I knew it was a grunter and I wasted no time scrambling down the bank to net it. What a ripper! It wasn’t huge as far as grunter go, but Charles was pretty happy that his first grunter stretched 44 cm and weighed 1.2 kg! The grunter was caught on a piece of eel meant for a shark.

I was still snapping pics of the grunter when Steve’s bait runner started howling. Round three! After a short battle I was able to land Steve’s first ever shark, well intentionally caught shark anyway! Steve’s shark stretch 84 cm and weight 3.5 kg and was caught on a live Bony Bream.

Later on I hooked up on my bait runner again. I fought the critter into within a couple of meters from the bank when the hook pulled. On inspecting the hook I found it to be nicely blunted from the earlier foul hookup. Stupid idiot for not checking it.:sick: Amateur misktake.:(

We have a few other big runs right up to 10 AM when Steve had to leave and Charles and I were only half and hour behind. At the end of the morning we each had a keeper in the esky so it was a good morning indeedB)

My pics follow plus if Charles's/Steve's turn out good I'll post some of theirs as well. The video will probably be around 100 MB but when I get it I'll stick it on my webspace for the broadband users:P

First pic, that shark that thought it was bigger!

[img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/100_1175.jpg

post-125-144598407056_thumb.jpg

Ray/Fisher, no secret spot X, its the junction. Fisher we fished the top half of the run out from about 5am to 10am. The exact tide? Beh you can look it up on the BOM website at the bar and add on 3hr10min for the low if you are supper keen:P . I don't think it really matters, except fishing with a bit of flow as the baitfish seem to be more active then. Right from the first cast with the net I was expecting a good trip as there seemed to be plenty of bait around.

Mako_Matt: Its not just coz the bait has been ripped around by the bully? What would be a better way? Not a dig serious question. Sometimes with the bigger bony bream i fnd one hooks pulls. But to keep them healthy i dont like to put the hooks to deep.

Timbo: I have seen a few stonker grunters caught first hand neat the mouth. Wilko's was 55cm on a herring bait. And Franco's was 57cm on a plastic. Good fish!!!

Angus

Archived