hook selection

tugger

depending on bait,

i use circles in 6/0-8/0 for live baiting smaller baits with a single hook

and mustad livebait hooks in 7/0 up to 10/0 for livebaiting bigger baits with a 2 hook snell rig

i've had alot of missed/pulled hookups using big circles on a snelled rig with big livies, hookups that last like 10 seconds or less then drop off etc

this is letting the fish run for a long time with baitrunner on and leaning back smoothly not striking

having said that my best fish which was a m+ jew was caught on a 25cm pike with 2 8/0 circles so maybe ive been unlucky in other instances

dhess wrote:

I use circles too. I use gamakatsu octopus circle 6/0s or 7/0's for anything from offshore chasing big AJ's to fishing the river.

They hook undersize fish around 20cm long just fine as well.

yeh same with me I use gamakastsu 7/0's for live baiting and got a 15kg spanyid a couple of nights on one which hooked him right in the jaw

superstryda wrote:

Yeah Gamakatsu octopus circles, 4/0-7/0's, lately been sticking to 7/0's they seem to hook almost anything small or large,

i've not used circle hooks too often. have been trying them of late and haven't hooked a fish on one yet. i have with the normal 'j' style hooks. i even tied a double hook rig using a j and a circle..came up on the j hook. i have been using 4/0 and 5/0 so reading your post has made me think i should try bigger circles. the gape in the smaller sizes put me off..i have bought some owner circles now to give them a try. going out monday with the young fella see how we go. reading back a bit nadders post says he has had a few pulled hooks. i used to get that..especially using a bait runner. i found i was setting the drag too light..thinking the fish wouldn't feel the weight until they had the hook well and truly in their gob. but as it worked out i had to set the drag a little heavier. is that part of the trick to using circles? :)

yeah my drag wasn't too light, i dont know what the problem was. it happened 2 nights in a row pretty much, something would smash it take a few runs with decent drag, headshake headshake etc then suddenly goneski

im thinking maybe whatever the fish was was getting hooked right in the corner of the mouth like just barely hooked, and the mm or so of flesh the hook was in tore free or something

nadders wrote:

yeah my drag wasn't too light, i dont know what the problem was. it happened 2 nights in a row pretty much, something would smash it take a few runs with decent drag, headshake headshake etc then suddenly goneski

im thinking maybe whatever the fish was was getting hooked right in the corner of the mouth like just barely hooked, and the mm or so of flesh the hook was in tore free or something

;

could be ay. used to fish for jacks using big mullet as bait. we'd get a lot of hits from massive pike eels..sometimes we'd get the bait back scaled and the hook just hanging on. obviously i hit a bit early..although you wouldn't think so..i sometimes wonder if some fish grab a bait and head for a hole..snag or whatever before turning and eating it? not sure..but even had it happen using a stinger rig..trebles don't usually miss. hey nadders might get together if this run goes without a problem..engine wise i mean. cheers

nadders wrote:

Jew do not hook often up on the first run, check it out, on how its done.

there should be a few around now too

might be worth a mention...

Archived