Road side assistance and recovery thoughts.

MoparKevUk

Going to get some racq or whatever.

2 cars. The wife's Falcon, used for the station commute (10km each way) and used for journeying around the State. My Valiant, used for work commute (15km each way) and used occassionally to Warwick, Willowbank, NSW, or wherever the car shows are.

Looking at RACQ UltraCare as this will cover both cars ($165 a year). Mainly getting this for the Falcon/Wife as I can usually fix the Val with a bean can, gaffer tape, a length of wire and an egg if it breaks....Gotta love 60's technology!

Any advice or alternatives, good and bad, gratefully accepted!

Kev

Have a few pals with trailers if the Val shits itself a million miles away!!!

;)

165 for 2 cars sounds good to me .

never had this kind of cover for brake downs.

always had old cars ,tool box,cable ties ,wire ,duck tape,etc.

like the old val repair kit lol

i just hope /pray and good maintenance that the cars keep going.been lucky so far with only a few little bush repairs so far to get me home .:)

oh

i know a few people who got it .and they reckon it great .like shortie said peace of mind.

Yep! this is mainly for Carole when she is out and about esp with me boy and for longer jaunts. Sad day when the car you are most concerned about is only 4yrs old, but if a $5 electrotrickeryfandangle goes pop yer up poo creek! Thanks for the advice! Also, if I've got it I won't need it..........And what's the go with "running out of petrol" once a year ;)

ha kev the falcon will never break down so you can tow the val with it:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: or should that be the other way around :laugh: :laugh: but then neither will break down ;) my ve has done 178.000 miles never let us down and the ed falcon 380.000 km only a couple small probs but never needed towing:cheer: al

Got ultracare myself had it for about 7? years, like a few have said wouldnt be without it.

Used it twice,both times for a commodore with a cactus fuel pump.

Checked into how it worked a while ago gave the eldest the commie and it turns out that I have a nominated vehicle which is covered and as the policy holder I am covered for any vehicle I drive,so I have the commodore covered as the nominated vehicle and as policy holder I am automatically covered on my bike or the Camry I drive and if the commie dies the young bloke can ring RACQ and the car will be towed home and I get to fix it again {joy}.

I say tow because they dont seem to be able to fix much on the side of the road any more.

Had a few Valiants over the years love em.

No they wont fix anything.

My wife's old KA laser bailed her up, they insisted the points were stuffed and it would have to be towed. When I got home I reset the gap and she did another 5000k without missing a beat before I changed them.

Had an old van of Rays as a loaner once, the alternator crapped out on a saturday. They said it would have to go to a repair shop, and they could arrange it. Fair enough I said. When the tow truck got there I asked him where it was going to be fixed, and what time could I pick it up. They said oh no, our workshop is shut saturdays it will just sit in the lock up until monday when they would have a look and see when they could get around to fitting it in. They were very surprised when I told them to P!ss off, that was no use to me. Got really cranky when I wouldn't sign the tow slip.

The only reason I have RACQ is so the missus can get towed if she gets in trouble, they serve no other useful purpose (except to back congestion taxes and any other anti motorist idea that comes along).

i reckon they would be ok for a tow home and if u run out of fuel.

last time i had big time car trouble was a accident and it cost me 200 $for towing 200 to get out of the yard .that was 16 years ago.so 165$ for 2 cars sounds cheap to me .

even if its once in 4 years ,mate i hit a car take it home ,or mate a can of fuel.

if u can get your car towed home under the cover its got to be worth it .

all said and done i still keep me $ and bush mechanic it and get home .

well that's just me .

but for that price i am thinking about it .

Thanks for the replies chaps. As stated, it is mainly for the "non bush mechanic" wife! I was talking to a Val owning RACQ chum and he gave me the tip that if it is out of the towing range, as per the policy, it is usually cheaper to just phone a tow company to come pick it up! I will be joining RACQ as I am a firm believer in the old "If you have it you ain't gonna need it" idea. Laterz!

Archived