Just asking

tankus

Hey guys I have thinking about in the next couple of months buying myself an aliminium tig welder i was wondering is there much of a call in here on the forums for a welder i am curious to see if it is worth me the initial outlay and stuff i know i wont cover all my costs off you guys but would be a nice way to start.... like i said just asking

its a hard call.

i was about to do a course in boat building .then get a welder and go into that .

don't like fiberglass ,it and me have had dealings a few times before .

but i was a bit iffy how many luv jobs do u get and how many real jobs .

i'm sure there is a market for it .

just not all luv jobs and make the price per hr cheaper than the big guys about and it would be a goer .i think.

so if u can be cheap enough to get internist but less than the other u mite find a nice little market.

after all non of us want to spend a fortune .but if u can get it for a good rate ,even if its not mates rates .it could work .

No im not a boilermaker although i have been welding for nearly 4 yrs i have done nearly all the tafe paper work. I have done some boilermaker work and can weld so others have told me to a standard that seems to pass. I am kinda looking for work atm too i dont like being a contrator for another company when there isnt much welding work on. I can weld stainless, ally and of course mild steel.

I was thinking with the boat stuff just do like a job by job basis i will always charge to do work like a basic call out fee which has like some welding in it like $50 and that includes like 30 mins work or something then a flat rate after that i gots to get the cash up first for a welder so i am just putting the feelers out there atm.

I eventually would like to build some tinnys but they will be not cheap as they most likely will all be done by tig so takes alot longer but also costs more ( i have never ali miged) So yeah thats bout it just seeing thats all

in the boat building world a tig is used for the NON structual welds as they dont have the penetration of a mig i used aa small wia 150s for welding from home it can do all normal metals including thin ally welds there are of course a million tricks to puling of sucessfull welds especially when the ally is old and impregnated with salt which causes small explosions in the welds

also a tig is so slow you couldnt make a boat at an affordable price unless you work for free

dont get me wrong a tig is very very handy just not for many metres of welds the biggest weld i did on a boat was 28ft long continous using a 500amp mig with a spool gun

if youd like any help setting up tools etc let me know im happy to help

jason

faulked is correct with everything that he stated prevous.

Migs welders are great but pulse mig welders are perfect for any application.

I love my welding gear and am constantly upgrading it.I have my eye on a new pulse mig tig and stick remote station 3phase welder at the moment at Independent welding supplies at wacol. This is the type of welder you want mate. It makes your work effortless and so much faster and neater. Not sure how the single phase welders of these go in the way of how smooth the operation of it is but i know there about $4000.00 cheaper than the 3phase.

Fellas got me little tinnie there and it has a small like hair line crack in the back of it where the weld is for the triaangle piece of steel sheet where you put your white light at the back of ya boat it is only small and doesnt let water in or nuffin its just on the weld near the outboard.Just wonderin how much it would cost just to put a quick weld over it

cheers sean i hope this makes sense as i dont no all the names for things haha

Archived