brissy river fishin

adventure_angler

thanks for the replies guys, reason is i have uni 5 days a week but have a few 3-4 hour breaks. i go to UQ so was lookin at places nearby that cud be worth fishing.

might go looking for some rock walls or banks with a few snags and try flicking some lures around. havent tried shark fishing before but that could be a good idea!

if any1 else has any other ideas that wud be great.

Go to kangaroo point, just fished there last night. Right in front of the toilets at the rock climbing area. Didnt catch any bullies but did have a massive pull but lost it. But did catch 2 Estuary cods, Both around 40-45cm. Lots of smaller ones ranging from 20cm. Also 1 29cm bream. Only stayed 2hrs but was fun.

Justin (Go0LiE)

Go0LiE Go to kangaroo point, just fished there last night. Right in front of the toilets at the rock climbing area. Didnt catch any bullies but did have a massive pull but lost it. But did catch 2 Estuary cods, Both around 40-45cm. Lots of smaller ones ranging from 20cm. Also 1 29cm bream. Only stayed 2hrs but was fun.

Careful Goolie - the authorities sometimes frown on this sort of thing :laugh:

(This is a joke only. No personal attack intended)

Come on' man, you like picking on me dont u? geezzz, im just trying to help others.

I havent seen you write up any reports or so what yet. If you have a matter with me then PM me and we can then sort it out. Atleast im contributing to this community unlike you, half your msgs are about me! We're both new here and if you want to reply, then read the SUBJECT before you do! :angry:

Go fishing more then you might be able to help out.

Now on please PM me and i'll do the same.

Down you go!

Post edited by: Go0LiE, at: 2007/02/27 22:51

Go0LiE wrote:

Come on' man, you like picking on me dont u? geezzz, im just trying to help others.

I havent seen you write up any reports or so what yet. If you have a matter with me then PM me and we can then sort it out. Atleast im contributing to this community unlike you, half your msgs are about me! We're both new here and if you want to reply, then read the SUBJECT before you do! :angry:

Go fishing more then you might be able to help out.

Now on please PM me and i'll do the same.

Down you go!<br><br>Post edited by: Go0LiE, at: 2007/02/27 22:51

Mate it was a joke don't worry about it!

at the moment im always landbased :(

neway i went down to a small park in st lucia and flicked a soft plastic round for 20mins on my way home after uni. found an area with a man-made rock wall and overhanging mangroves. i tried casting parallel to the bank to the base of the mangroves but didnt manage to get any fish. i did see a mullet jump clear of the water about 5m from where i was casting and after retrieving the soft plastic at one point had noticed its tail had been taken clear off.

oh and it was also low tide when i was there and the spot looks far more promising for high tide. city cats were constantly passing by which wuddnt have helped my chances i spose.

depends wat stories u have heard mate...? :P

usually at about 3:30pm on a wednesday arvo not much wud be happening, either way i have to drive home and wuddnt be able to drink anyway, haha.

the bar can be a load of fun wen its full of drunk uni students, particularly if its after exams or on a thursday or friday night.

I went to UQ and always found it a better option to hitch a ride or catch the bus to the RE or Regatta for a bit a lively time.

In regards to fsihing however, at Bretts we have never found the city cats any problem. Fish often take a run right after one has passed. I guess being that they are faily constant, the fish would most likely uncaring of them?

On the Southern side of the university (on the other side of teh colleges) i used to fish quite a lot and get bream and catfish. In the Uni lagoons i have often been tempted as there are huge eels in there and what i think are spangled perch.

Angus

adventure_angler wrote:

at the moment im always landbased :(

neway i went down to a small park in st lucia and flicked a soft plastic round for 20mins on my way home after uni. found an area with a man-made rock wall and overhanging mangroves. i tried casting parallel to the bank to the base of the mangroves but didnt manage to get any fish. i did see a mullet jump clear of the water about 5m from where i was casting and after retrieving the soft plastic at one point had noticed its tail had been taken clear off.

oh and it was also low tide when i was there and the spot looks far more promising for high tide. city cats were constantly passing by which wuddnt have helped my chances i spose.

With regard to the city cats, don't worry as they're probably acting as a kind of mobile FAD (fish attracting device). The theory goes that the when the underwater bubbles they form in their wake collapse and burst, they make a sound (to predatory fish species) just like baitfish feeding, and this helps to bring them on the bite. Hence Angus's comment about how the fish take a run right after a cat's gone by.:)

well thats good news on the city cats, and yeh me and a uni mate were discussing the uni lake, we have also seen a few large eels and always wondered wat else may be living in there. the lake does have a fair bit of snags and overhanging trees, also has lilly pads in 1 section. the water is also aerated by a large fountain in the centre of the lake, however i think it would be rubbish and pollution which wud limit aquatic life.

• 2 weeks later...

Angus wrote:

I went to UQ and always found it a better option to hitch a ride or catch the bus to the RE or Regatta for a bit a lively time.

In regards to fsihing however, at Bretts we have never found the city cats any problem. Fish often take a run right after one has passed. I guess being that they are faily constant, the fish would most likely uncaring of them?

On the Southern side of the university (on the other side of teh colleges) i used to fish quite a lot and get bream and catfish. In the Uni lagoons i have often been tempted as there are huge eels in there and what i think are spangled perch.

Angus

hi there Angus, we have a different theory for this in Malaysia. Our theory is basically that when boats run over or through a school or baitfish, the turbulence and the prop wash tumbles the fish around, disorients them and basically disperses the school, and leaves them as easy pickings. so that's when the predators move in.

It's a theory that's been proven over here. There're some anglers who troll just 5-6metres off the transom with deep diving lures, and they pick up rather exceptionally large fish! Their theory is that the big fish actually follow the boats wakes, picking up fish that have been knocked about by the turbulence.

i've seen sebarau(a type of predatory carp in Malaysia), go close in to a bank, and pick off insects that were knocked off the leaves by the waves from our boat's wake.

I have seen the fish come on after a boats wake has hit the shore line, then switch off.

As the waves hit the shore line, obviously little baitfish etc get slapped around,pulled back out deeper, bugs get washed in to the water etc.

On one trip where we just anchored up, this pattern was so obvious that after a while we only bothered casting when a boat went past, casting right onto the edge just before the waves hit, until they had subsided. Usually resulted in at least one fish, with not even a nibble between boats.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/03/15 05:50

Archived